1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Heads will you be stiking in Nov if it is called?

Discussion in 'Headteachers' started by tom clancy, Oct 26, 2011.

1. I will and hope all my staff will be as well; providing the ballot results are in favour of action.

2. I very much doubt my head will be - doubt that he is actually in a union at all!

3. I shall be out. Even though I am near to my pension, I worry about the younger members of the profession.

4. I wonder if many heads are hoping that their staff will all go out on strike and they will have to close the school anyway, leaving them to "work from home" and not upset anyone, except their staff.......I'm sorry to say that many may do this, I hope they don't. I shall be out, if the ballot dictates, whether I agree with it or not, because you need to support your own!

5. So why doesn't the NAHT organise some form of industrial action to improve the budgetary situation for schools? Education should be considered as an investment but not the current trend to care more for short term financial expediency

6. anon2799

anon2799 New commenter

I don't know if you've seen the news lately. We've got a few financial issues to deal with ....

7. Well said Thrupp. Cat amongst pigeons alert... take cover!

8. ilovesooty

ilovesooty Star commenter

[​IMG]

9. [​IMG]
    Sill waiting Transilvanian...but you can't defend the undefendable!!

10. Now it has been voted for, if no deal can be sorted I'm out, and I never thought I'd say it, but perhaps we need to think about ourselves on this rather than others. I'm sure when I retire no son of a *** is going to look after me.
    My Kids first days a school: Missed
    My Kids school plays: Missed
    My Kids first parent interviews: missed
    My Kid's leavers assembly missed.
    Their kids eucation on 30th Nov. Possibly missing!
    Just like a large chunck of my wages and pension.........................

11. mychuck

mychuck New commenter

I could not agree more thrupp.
    The Daily Fail will have a field day with us, as will ' angry from middle anywhere', but every day seems to be hunting season for teachers and HTs. People just do not realise how much goes into schools and education and just how much serving teachers and HTs miss out on in terms of their own child's education.
    Once when I was already leaving a job to join another school, my car would not start [!!] and I was able to nip into my child's nursery to see him play Joseph in the nativity. I tried to stand at the back out of sight but my son spotted me and stood up and pointed at me and said, 'that's my mummy' with delight. He's long passed nursery days but the memory still brings back a lump to my throat. He has sat in my class on his school's INSET days and he has joined me in the holidays [when I was teaching a class], in setting up resources etc. I have missed out on sport's days etc and so much more. As a teacher and HT I have always looked out for other children in similiar positions. My choice of career... yes but it always comes at a price. I feel I am now being robbed of what I was promised and have earnt.
    Will strike action work? Well we are always dammed if we do and if we don't but I feel strongly about this issue so I will strike.

12. Woops written in anger on my mac keyboard, which I cannot get used to!
    Spellings:
    Education (ironic!!!!)
    Chunk
    *** should read *****

13. anon2799

anon2799 New commenter

You seem to be obsessed, posting across the forums on a single topic. You should get out more and widen your interests. If you don't agree with the strike I suggest that if industrial action is effective, when you come to retire you take the "extra" which your fellow teachers and heads went on strike for and donate it to charity. That way you won't be tainted by anyone's "lefty" actions. (***)

14. I think walnuthead is thick like a nut and not a head. But he is entitled to his view, however limited.

15. mychuck

mychuck New commenter

The last thing anyone would want to do is strike. I enjoy my job and put in long hours not only in my school but in supporting other schools.
    I agree with CG, if you are so offended by strike action and you are in the teaching profession [????] then when those of us who have stood up for ourselves and get what we are due, you can hand yours back!!

16. If it's any consolation, my (private sector-employed) husband saw my voting slip lying on the dining room table way back when...
    "OUTRAGEOUS! I bl**dy well hope you're voting YES..."
    They're not all miserable gits out there...
    C x

17. He also has a (slightly embarrassing) habit of having a go at people who start to go on about long holidays and short working hours... Bless him! [​IMG]

18. Hey Archibald, are you stuck in 1970's? How can you be sexist in a female dominated profession? There are more women who are breadwinners in teaching than ever before. There is no work out there. Women have it harder than ever. They work full time, do all the housework, look after kids & deal with the rising debts. What luxury to be working for your pocket money and deferring to your executive husband to think for you! I imagine your female staff are stuck in debt and can't strike as they are worried about paying for Christmas and making ends meet. Also, consider support staff in Unison on a minimum wage. Even tougher times. Yes, it might make a huge difference to strike for our pensions for our futures or it might not. Let people make their own minds up about striking.

19. Should be..... but unfortunately not in this place!

20. Have you been on our planet for the last three years ? Get real !!!!