1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Heads of Maths, how do you spend your budget?

Discussion in 'Mathematics' started by brookes, Aug 15, 2011.

1. Just interested in that really - proportions or amounts, whatever you feel comfortable sharing. So far I've spent about a £1000 on stationery for an academic year and £500 on annual ICT subscriptions. I was looking at buying some one-use workbooks for different student groups and am really surprised at how pricey these are. Only CGP appears good value for money and they don't always have what I'm after. I'm left wondering if it's really a good use of the money I have left. (I can find no records for how the previous budgets were spent but have been told I have less than in recent years).

2. Just interested in that really - proportions or amounts, whatever you feel comfortable sharing. So far I've spent about a £1000 on stationery for an academic year and £500 on annual ICT subscriptions. I was looking at buying some one-use workbooks for different student groups and am really surprised at how pricey these are. Only CGP appears good value for money and they don't always have what I'm after. I'm left wondering if it's really a good use of the money I have left. (I can find no records for how the previous budgets were spent but have been told I have less than in recent years).

3. I spent a very large proportion on printing and photocopying resources - a few that we had bought (eg. CAME); others we had downloaded (eg. nrich); some we had developed using free software (eg. tarsia) and some that we had written ourselves from scratch.

We invested in good storage so that these were easily shared as a team and could be used for year on year (where appropriate).

When money was more flush I invested in time - buying an extra free a fortnight for a couple of staff to work on projects for the benefit of the whole department.

4. adamcreen

adamcreen Occasional commenter

£6000 - one-third on textbooks (mainly topping up) and software subs, one-third on exercise books and equipment, and one-third on photocopying

5. trinity0097

trinity0097 New commenter

Depends on what your school expects you to pay for out of the subject budget!
    In my last school (state school), I, as a staff governor on the finance committee, got them to change their policy so that each dept got less money, but then didn't have to pay for reprographics - the head and governors agreed that if we needed to copy something then we shouldn't be restricted, within reason! Codes were still entered so that they could keep tabs on what each department was spending just in case we all decided to go worksheet crazy, but we didn't - but it meant that budget holders could budget more effectively rather than having to leave money aside in case the repro bill was large!
    In my current school, a prep school, we don't have to pay for any stationery/exercise books or repro stuff from my budget - it's purely for just maths things. We can apply for extra money if we want to change our textbooks, but that takes time and has to be agreed by a number of people.

6. nearly a third on photocopying, half on stationary and books top ups which includes write on workbooks for lower sets plus CGP papers for year 11's in January. Rest for software subs and emergencies like subsidising trips etc. if required or one off purchases like fridge, microwave etc. for the work room.

7. Maths_Mike

Maths_Mike New commenter

Yep make sure you keep some for those teaching essentials like fridges and microwaves

8. Seems that we're all fairly similar, in terms of amounts and proportions spent (given the photocopying issue). I'm wondering how much to spend on the disposables - workbooks for low ability KS3, revision workbooks for yr 11 and I'm eyeing up some of the Alpha workbooks for KS5. The budget's reduced this year but I like to give a mini-budget (£100ish) for each teacher to spend as they like.

9. bombaysapphire

bombaysapphire Star commenter

Can I come and work for you? I'd love my own mini-budget!

10. Maths_Mike

Maths_Mike New commenter

Given the microwave and fridge idea the mini budget might not be such a good idea!!
    Tickets for the cup final anyone!!

11. Karvol

Karvol Occasional commenter

Out of curiousity, is everyone based in the state sector?

12. mmmmmaths

mmmmmaths New commenter

I take it Mike that you never worked in a department that had a fridge in the departmental office. Where did you all keep your sandwiches and milk? I'm wondering how you had hot drinks or did the Headteacher just give you a kettle for free or did you all bring your own flasks?

13. Maths_Mike

Maths_Mike New commenter

the school supplied a suitably equipped staffroom.
    This has been the case in all 5 schools I have working in.
    Department budgets are for teaching and learning not teacher comforts which while necessary are a seperate issue - imho
    I mean otherwise its a free for all? How about I spend it on some gym equipment? an Ipad (ofocurse I would use it for work only - or a compnay car?

14. googolplex

googolplex Occasional commenter

One way to encourage staff to gravitate towards the staffroom at break and lunch and, thereby, to promote collegiality is for the head to put on some decent refreshments for staff to buy. Like Mike, all schools I have worked in have this and the staff room atmosphere in all these schools has been superb.
    One way to discourage this is to authorise individual departments to spend taxpayers money on a whole load of fridges and microwaves throughout the school, thereby ensuring that most staff have no idea who else teaches in their school, and kids have less money spent on their education. I have heard about such schools anecdotally, but had no idea that the kitchen equipment was paid for out of departmental budgets... shocking...[​IMG]

15. mmmmmaths

mmmmmaths New commenter

In the past I have bought notice boards for the corridor, teachers chairs, cameras, camcorders, iwb projector bulbs (they were expensive), classroom cupboards, prizes for competitions, large fans for hot classrooms, school ties for those who turn up without them to borrow, kettle ( fridge was old but ok, microwave awful so I threw it out). It all depends on how the head teacher decides to allocate funds. I prefered to be given lots more money and being allowed to decide what our priorities were rather than being given just sufficient for the basics and someone higher up deciding what is needed.

I have found shocking the tiny departmental budgets that some schools hand out. Just where do schools waste all of the tax payers money meant for learning if that is all that is left for the departments to spend!

Some schools do not have staff rooms, some schools have rooms so far from the stateroom that getting there for a drink at break time is not possible hence kettles and fridges around the school.

We saved money by never buying pens, pencils, rulers or calculators for pupils who could not be bothered bringing their own or getting them out of their bags.

All schools monitor all spending so anything considered OTT would be challenged.

Question for you all, when you have a trainee in school in your department does the school give the money they get for that trainee to the department for all the extra work you have to o in mentoring etc. Or does it vanish into another black hole.

Answer to original post.

Exercise books/ stationary:Text books /practical equipment: ict stuff: reprographics = 1:1:1:1

16. trinity0097

trinity0097 New commenter

When I had trainees half went into the supply budget the other half went to the department to spend as I pleased. I usually used it to make sure that I had a good supply of thingslike coloured sugar paper, colouring pencils etc first before then buying other larger things that we needed to replace or wanted, e.g. weighing scales, Primary Games software etc...

17. ian60

ian60 New commenter

f''ed up rather badly this year: ordered a whole load of HL IB texts, only to be told that I had entered the ISBN code for the SL book.

I'll be facing the flack for that tomorrow.