1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Heads of Maths, how are you expected to evaluate your department?

Discussion in 'Mathematics' started by brookes, Feb 25, 2011.

1. I have to complete a TSEF (Team Self Evaluation Form) which I believe is not a national requirement but I guess most schools have something similar. I have to complete sections on Attainment, Progress, Teaching, Curriculum, ECM and Whole School. I'm wondering what annual self-evaluation you have to do and how you do it.

2. I have to complete a TSEF (Team Self Evaluation Form) which I believe is not a national requirement but I guess most schools have something similar. I have to complete sections on Attainment, Progress, Teaching, Curriculum, ECM and Whole School. I'm wondering what annual self-evaluation you have to do and how you do it.

3. maths126

maths126 New commenter

I used to prepare this sort of annual review for Governors and Senior Management. It's just a matter of collecting the data and presenting it simply. Get members of the team to help you collect the data and then you just have to put it together.
    Attainment - I would put exam results here. End of Key Stage statistics, headline figures, that sort of thing. Evaluate these data - are you happy with them - why/why not? Are you changing the way you work as a result of these figures?
    Progress - This is where you could put CVA figures, achievements of students in exams beyond expectation, progress from start of Year 7 to start of Year 8 (and onwards) - perhaps highlighting particular progress of (say) lower groups to make a praise statement out of the students in Year 9 who are finally working at Level 3 after patient efforts by their teachers and TAs. Data from SENCO regarding specific students with learning difficulties could also be highlighted. Evaluation as above.
    Teaching - Do you share best practice in the department? Give some examples of great lessons you have heard about. Have you considered videoing each other? How would you rate your departmental strengths? Get your team to use the NCETM Self-Evaluation Tools in order to generate data. What CPD do you run in your Dept / your school / your area?
    Curriculum - Evaluate the different pathways your department offers to children of different abilities and expectations. How are you supporting vocational pathways? Do you offer early entry or additional exam options for your GCSE years? How effective is your Post-16 curriculum in terms of preparing students in time? How up-to-date are your schemes of work? How often do these get reviewed? Are you resourcing them regularly?
    ECM - Where is Pupil Voice heard in your Dept? Pupil surveys (e.g online via Survey Monkey or similar), pupil interviews (videoed?) - What impact does the ECM agenda have on your mission statement as a department?
    Whole School - What is the public face of the Maths Dept? Whole School Maths Days or Maths Weeks, high-profile speakers, features in the local press, competitions, Maths Club, form challenges, Maths Notice Board highlighting recent successes; cross-curricular work eg with Science, Geography or PE; open evenings, open days, Maths web site etc Evaluate - where next?

4. googolplex

googolplex Occasional commenter

I'm rather lucky on this matter. We just submit a report on results once a year, and that's about it. Occasionally, other surveys, but nothing regular.

5. I'm not particularly struggling with it Maths126, and some of is proving useful, especially as I'm a very new HoD. It's very prescriptive, so taking Attainment, for example, I have to comment on KS4 results A*-C, KS4 results A*-G, KS4 results FFTD, KS4 results FFTB, KS4 results for boys, girls, SEN, FSM, in care and G&T and compare with the last three years and the national average and then repeat for KS5, year 7, year 8 and year 9. That's the Attainment section alone.

6. maths126

maths126 New commenter

Sorry if I misread your post!
    The detail you mention begs the question WHY?
    I thought this sort of comment/analysis (call it what you will) was done by commercial software, and that for using which the Assistant Head/ Deputy was paid to process all the school data.
    At the very least you could reasonably ask your Data Manager in SMT to provide you with a print out of all the necessary data so that you can complete the said form.
    If asked for comment you could then simply say "I think we're doing our best!"[​IMG]