1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Heads dressing up for World Book Day

Discussion in 'Primary' started by justplaintired, Feb 29, 2012.

1. My last two heads have been 'unable to dress up for World Book Day' as they have had 'a meeting to go to'.All the staff dress up otherwise, Am I churlish to feel these meetings are very convenient - and aren't there enough head teachers in literature that they could take part without losing their dignity (if that is the problem)?

2. greta444

greta444 New commenter

I would invent meetings too. Dressing up for this day is a waste of time. For what purpose? Load of nonsense.

3. Sadly many Heads do not have the flexibility to arrange meetings around events.
    I am visiting a partner school tomorrow morning and so need to appear professional. I will change 'into an author' for the afternoon, however.

4. Fun?

5. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

I would too...I dream of a meeting or course on any dressing up day!

6. lardylegs

lardylegs Occasional commenter

Fun? For the first 10 minutes perhaps. But then you will have to spend the rest of the day dressed as The Snow Queen or whatever.
    I don't expect my doctor to dress up for anything, so why should teachers do it? We are professionals and educators, not entertainers. Also it is not a charity event, so really why would you?

7. bassetthound

bassetthound New commenter

Dressing up to come to school is complete hassle for parents and a bit of a nightmare for some children too. Parents who often have little enough time on their hands feel obliged to spend time (or worse) buy a costume for their child to wear.
    Most of the teachers in our school cringe when they hear the words dress up!
    Why on earth do some teachers insist on maing life difficult for others?

8. I do understand the argument that dressing up is a pain for parents - hence plenty of notice is necessary. I also agree that we are educators not entertainers. However the excitement around books and reading created by the whole event does help inspire children to look and think about books as more than just a chore for school. AND - if heads want a World Book Day then I do think they should participate - and change after for their meetings.

9. Jesus Ch*ist - What a grump!
    What about making education fun? Encouraging children to be passionate about reading? Enjoying school? Creating memories? Having a giggle with and building relationships with children?
    There is nothing making parents feel obliged - if they feel like that it's up to them. There are plenty of simple, cheap, easy ideas for dressing up that could be used if necessary and there will be plenty of children still in uniform tomorrow - but the choice is there for those that enjoy it. The smiles and laughter on childrens faces when they see their friends and teachers dressed up is priceless, and the pride they feel when their efforts are recognised is also nice.
    How on earth is it making life 'difficult' for others just because a few parents feel pressurised? Noone is making them.

10. greta444

greta444 New commenter

Are you a parent?