1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Heads acting like screen characters

Discussion in 'Personal' started by George1164, Jun 10, 2012.

1. Our Media Studies teacher, who was a film buff, was fascinated by our new Head’s public personas, as they seemed to be taken from film characters. The Head’s gung-ho, ‘shape up or ship out’ act came from Ed Harris’s portrayal of Gene Kranz in Apollo 13, while his pedantic, sibilantly precise, bullying voice was either James Mason or Donald Pleasance. None of this occurred to me, but when I Googled some clips on U-tube, I saw that he was right. Has anyone else noticed that their Head, or anyone else at their school, has been influenced in this way?

2. Our Media Studies teacher, who was a film buff, was fascinated by our new Head’s public personas, as they seemed to be taken from film characters. The Head’s gung-ho, ‘shape up or ship out’ act came from Ed Harris’s portrayal of Gene Kranz in Apollo 13, while his pedantic, sibilantly precise, bullying voice was either James Mason or Donald Pleasance. None of this occurred to me, but when I Googled some clips on U-tube, I saw that he was right. Has anyone else noticed that their Head, or anyone else at their school, has been influenced in this way?

3. Spanakopita

Spanakopita New commenter

The last head I worked for was a woman who dressed like Max Wall.

4. anon2799

anon2799 New commenter

I was once told I looked like Nicole Kidman, by someone I worked with, does that count?
    (god I wish i did!)

5. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

One Head of my acquaintance could easily be mistaken for Rupert Everett's Miss Fritton in 'St Trinians'.

Likewise, one of the first Deputies I worked for was the spitting image of Harry Grout in 'Porridge', both in appearance and mannerisms.

6. Spanakopita

Spanakopita New commenter

Up close she isn't that good looking - pasty and spotty, curly girly. Or she was the day I saw her coming out of Iceberg on Bondi. (But her husband is gorgeous).