1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Headphones

Discussion in 'Music' started by erp77, Jun 16, 2011.

1. erp77

erp77 New commenter

Hi
    Can anyone reccomend some hard-wearing headphones to use with my keyboards.
    I seem to get through loads of pairs that are broken due to wear and tear and general use by my kids.

Thanks

2. Once I ordered indestructable headphones (not sure that was the exact word but thats the gist of it) that were based on the usual bucket headphones but had been 'strengthened'.
    They cost a fair bit more and when they arrived I found the wires had just been secured with those cable tidy things.
    They fell to bits just as quickly as the other headphones.
    I'd recommend just keep going with the cheapest possible. Maybe encourage kids to use their iPod headphones.

3. We've been through a ton of different makes and brands from phillips to even sennheiser and none of the top boys could handle school children! so in a moment of madness I went to thomann and puchased some cheap tbone headphones..
    and they have lasted! the ear pieces are stuck on and the cord is woven (not plastic)

http://www.thomann.de/gb/the_tbone_hd660_stereokopfhoerer.htm

They are only £8.35 and come with an adaptor too.

Hope this helps.

4. We've had problems with headphones getting broken and with 3 classrooms to replace each year it is now too expensive to do in the current financial climate.

We're introducing a new policy next year where the pupils have to bring in their own ipod/computer headphones for each lesson (they already have to do this for their ICT lesson and the school office sells them for £1.35). We have bought splitters for the keyboards (£2 each) so that they pupils can plug their own headphones into the keyboards or the computers if they have a music tech lesson. We're hoping that this will save us alot of money on repairs and will also stop the inevitable complaints that "they only work in one ear" or "I haven't got any". Our current headphone stash will then be kept in reserve for those who forget.

5. Headphones bought from Counterpoint in Susex lasted the longest that I ever purchased.

6. Try Music villages Mv44 at £5.50 a pair they are pretty indesctruble. But saying that on my second set over the past 5 years.

7. LennoxBerkeley

LennoxBerkeley New commenter

Ah, headphones. A perennial music teacher's favourite topic. The ultimate solution to the pesky problem of hearing each other's music. Keeping pushing those frontiers my friends.

Lennox.

8. erp77

erp77 New commenter

Well Lennox, when you have a class of thirty then they are a necessity.
    Thanks for the suggestions.

9. dropje

dropje New commenter

Just had a massive 'go' at staff for not taking care of the headphone situation as I have to share the room with other subjects. I am very close to removing them every time I teach music.
    I don't know what the asnwer is. They are so expensive. Some last, some don't...I think I am going to ask the kids to bring their own. I'll provide the adapters!

10. Sign them out, sign them in - it can be part of the plenary!

11. dropje

dropje New commenter

I wondered what i could do in the plenary - good one!!

12. and the learning intention there is "Don't mess with the Headphones"

13. Tried the MV44 from Music Village for the first time this year - pupils still managed to pull the cords out easily. Perhaps they're easier fixed / soldered though. May give the thomann ones a try. Don't use the Maplin ones - the headband snaps easily. The Educational ones from ZINGS are fine for me - £5 each and with volume controls / mono switches which can be handy to bring back both ears if one was broken, however the 'free' thin wires are easly pulled from the headphones. At least the MV44 ones would need a real act of vandalism to break....

14. The best solution I find is to take the headphones away at the start of the year the moment a pair gets broken or if a pupil starts to destroy them and ask the kids to bring in their own earphones. I always had one or two pupils (especially the girls) who'd bring in the most alarming looking pair, but if they worked for the principle of using on their guitars or keyboards, I allowed it. Most kids have them anyway from their iphones etc and its far cheaper to just buy in small to large adaptors if the keyboards have those kind of headphone jacks. In time you can either reintroduce the classroom headphones, one pair at a time, or for meaningful tasks such as composing at certificate level, for sole use with the computers for Sibelius/Musescore/Notator Logic/Cubase. Kids eventually learn to treat accessories like headphones with care, but only if restrictions are in place, or do display maturity. They're more than likely to treat them with responsibility and respect. At one school I worked at, the kids cobbled money together to buy me a pair of panda muff headphones as a thank you. I was deeply touched as well as deeply amused!