1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Headphones for primary schools...

Discussion in 'Computing and ICT' started by 2r2e, Jan 29, 2019.

1. 2r2e

2r2e New commenter

...any suggestions? Feed up with the tangles so looking for coiled or detachable cable. Be interested in people's experiences..
    Thanks in advance. (and thanks to anyone who answered my similar query 7 years ago!)

2. neddyfonk

neddyfonk Lead commenter

Bluetooth would seem to be the logical answer, BUT... Not sure if it is practical for 20 or more devices all within range of each other where you need to accept pairing from the host and avoid crosstalk / bandwidth interference. Does bluetooth provide multiple channels ( like CBB radio )?

3. 2r2e

2r2e New commenter

I wondered about that. We use the Lego WeDo with 17 iPads with no problem, but I'm guessing there may well be design features in the software to manage that, but you're right, it's the obvious solution.
    The other snag I thought of was the practicalities of charging of them - and the inevitable disruption when the previous user hasn't stuck them onto charge...

4. becktonboy

becktonboy New commenter

... and the cost
    ... and the nickability
    ... and the fragility.
    I might have answered your query 7 years ago but I never found a better solution than sturdy, unattractive Coombers, available at a bulk price. The cable tangle could be obviated if not wholly solved, by teaching children how to put them away at the end of each session (2 pairs to a Poundland 3 for £1 )basket and when they did eventually expire, as all headphones in daily use by kids must, they weren't expensive to replace, especially with a few in store left over from the bulk purchase.

5. diddydave

diddydave Lead commenter

Putting them in zip lock plastic bags certainly helps prevent a lot of the tangling.

SundaeTrifle likes this.