1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Headmaster struck off

Discussion in 'Education news' started by ridleyrumpus, Jun 1, 2019.

1. ridleyrumpus

ridleyrumpus Lead commenter

2. stonerose

stonerose Occasional commenter

The truly shocking thing for me about this story is my (almost) lack of surprise!

It's difficult to know where to begin, but I'll try:
    • 30 years at the school before they realized they had a creep in their midst? Don't think so.
    • They weren't exactly discreet about their 'Benny Hill' conduct so why did those at the top of the management and governance do nothing? Was it because it might reveal a searing lack of stewardship in dealing with the situation?
    • This is yet another example of ed. establishments being able to virtually rule their roosts, reap financial rewards to fund their greed. Then run. This creep's mistake may have been to stay too long at his own party
    • I wonder how many posters could tell tales of similar appalling conduct in schools in their patch.
    • It's more common than you think. In my own area I was told of two other schools where sexual/financial/worrying conduct concerns were being raised by staff only to be told nothing could be done.
    Hands up now! Who's surprised? :(

The final insult to staff must be that however much they tried to engage someone to try and investigate this (and they tried to find a safe way, I'm sure of that) they would have been stalled by a clapped out system of over-sight that is in my view sapping the ed. service in many different ways .

Thank goodness for the builder on the site who chose not to be 'wilfully blind, and mute'. He/she deserves a medal.

jlishman2158 likes this.
  3. dunnocks

dunnocks Star commenter

Head teacher disappears into his "sex dungeon" with his secretary for "days" - school defrauded of hundreds of thousands, buildings falling into disrepair, education impacted,

and ofsted rates it "good".

Deputy head defrauds the school of hundreds of pounds, uses school funds for his wife and his leisure persuits, and doesn't get banned because he is "a pillar of the community"

CraigCarterSmith and stonerose like this.
  4. Robfreeman

Robfreeman Occasional commenter

Dont point out ofsted says its good there are some mats that will just copy the school design without wondering how to implement it

5. Happygopolitely

Happygopolitely Established commenter

Concerning finances-

It seems too many hts and ceos are in it for the money. But then Ofsted get bonuses too. Accountability and blame seems so heavily placed upon teachers that those above in some schools tend to hide in their offices. And it seems there are some hts and ceos that are not seen for days in their schools and merely just pop in.

Why is this allowed? Is it possible there schools where finances are treated as a tool to play with to the benefit of ht and ceo pay packets?

stonerose likes this.
  6. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

Ofsted put it into Special Measures shortly before the struck-off head left the school in 2014, having previously put it into Requires Improvement in 2013. It wasn't rated Good until 2018, presumably after a new head turned it around.

7. peakster

peakster Star commenter

That school has other problems too.

8. SEBREGIS

SEBREGIS Lead commenter

Obviously needs to be taken over by a MAT, then this sort of thing would not be allowed.

Oh - hang on - it WAS being run by a MAT?

Quick, transfer it to another one. That will sort out the problem.

9. Rott Weiler

The facts don't bear that out though. According to the barring panel report disclosures were made to Ofsted during the 2014 inspection and separately a staff member made a whistleblowing disclosure to the DfE. DfE acted on these by starting a formal EFA investigation and that was how it all came to light. Media reports of the trial in 2017 only mention the builder in passing, it appears to be staff who succeeded in getting the head brought to book. Both head and deputy were convicted of fraud and other offences. The head got 4 years in prison, probably still in there.

It wasn't in a MAT at the time, stand-alone converter. After going into SM and everything coming to light it was put into a MAT later.

Last edited: Jun 1, 2019
  10. ridleyrumpus

11. ridleyrumpus

Not wanting to ruin someones career needlessly but I do hope that the DH has been struck off also, literally writing "blank cheques" for the head. Whisky Tango Foxtrot

12. nomad

nomad Star commenter

13. gainly

gainly Senior commenter

Since he is now 74 isn't it a bit late to strike him off? It's hardly likely that he would ever have worked in a school again even if not struck off.

14. Rott Weiler

Is that a reason not to bar him? I don't think so. If someone has committed an offence should they be let off if they are unlikely to do it again because of their age? Surely not.

15. yodaami2

yodaami2 Lead commenter

One of our regular supply is well over 70. So never too late for a bar.

16. shevington

shevington Occasional commenter

Still be drawing his Teacher's Pension.

17. peakster

peakster Star commenter

From his prison cell - where he currently is.

18. neddyfonk

neddyfonk Established commenter

Tongue in cheek, I am not sure what all the fuss is about. I recall seeing two dustbins and extra refuse bags full of empty sherry/whisky/wine bottles after a council 'meeting' 40 yrs ago. The video was also rather disappointing: I expected it to look like scenes from 50 shades of grey, not a few bottles of booze, miscellaneous sex toys and grubby looking settee cushions.

19. neddyfonk

neddyfonk Established commenter

Then he is lucky. A policeman I knew that visited his mistress when he was supposed to be on duty, lost his home and his pension for gross misconduct.

20. Rott Weiler

Presumably he was convicted of a criminal offence (Misconduct in Public Office?). Conviction of a serious offence is required to forfeit a police pension, merely being dismissed for gross misconduct is not enough.

Similar rules apply to most (all?) government employees.

For teachers the TPS rules specify when pension could be forfeited (here for those interested), it's very similar to police and local government pension rules. What's not clear though is who would have to apply to the Secretary of State for a certificate authorising the pension to be forfeited.

Several court decisons have ruled that it's very unlikely the whole pension could be forfeited although in cases of fraud a court might allow the employer to recover as much money as needed to cover the amount stolen by the employee. That wouldn't be relevant to this head though as, according to media reports, he has repaid all the money he defrauded.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2019