1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Headlice

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by geniegirl, Feb 7, 2011.

1. Argh! Blimin kids (love them really!) have gone and
    given me nits! Definitely not what I needed
    and haven't had them since I was in primary school!
    Advice please- what should I be doing to get
    rid of the blighters?!

2. Argh! Blimin kids (love them really!) have gone and
    given me nits! Definitely not what I needed
    and haven't had them since I was in primary school!
    Advice please- what should I be doing to get
    rid of the blighters?!

3. A blast with something from the pharmacy is reassuring but wont kill the eggs so condition and comb at least every other day for the next couple of weeks; you should see lice of diminishing size as you start to comb out the new-borns (aaagh) and then one day they'll be gone. My TA is very obliging on the head checking front (can we possibly pay her enough?); my other half is useless.

4. Miss Piggywig

Miss Piggywig New commenter

Ive just had them too. A perk of the job, some people get hugh bonuses we get nits, great. I brought n eletric nit comb from boots and it buzzes when it finds one and kills one. It's much quicker as can be done on dry hair now it doesn't find any and I just run it through every couple of days. I'm going back to hair spray as I don't think they like thatit seems to keep them away.

5. Don't buy an electric comb if you have thick, curly hair;it won't cope! It was useless for my daughter. Combing through with conditioner is hard work but worth it and your hair will look lovely too!

6. The best thing is to buy some hair straighteners, then you can fry the little darlings every morning! Worked with a TA who never got them and I had them every week, we decided that was the only thing that was different.

7. NellyFUF

NellyFUF Lead commenter

Don't use the oily ones NEEM I think - that sort. It takes 3 years to get rid of the grease from your hair. Just use conditioner and a comb.