1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Heading towards a ballot on 22nd March....

Discussion in 'Scotland - education news' started by seren_dipity, Feb 28, 2011.

1. http://www.eis.org.uk/pay/snct_25feb.htm

It makes for depressing reading.
    "Recognising that the discussions within the SNCT had come to an end, the
    Salaries Committee decided to put the proposals to members in a
    consultative ballot. It is anticipated that the ballot will open on 8 March and close on 22 March."

2. So they are cutting pay by cutting holidays? Am I reading this wrongly?

3. And the rest...depressing stuff.

4. GuessWho

GuessWho New commenter

We will still work 195 days but only 40 of our current holiday days will remain the balance will be designated as school closures. It's all to save money on maternity pay I believe.

5. catmother

catmother Lead commenter

So basically,COSLA is going ahead with everything on their shopping list,therefore giving the unions no choice whatsoever?
    Dark days ahead. What a shame.

6. Milkandchalk

Milkandchalk New commenter

The EIS facebook page are saying that their finance committee recommend that we vote against the proposals.
    My two questions are:
    1. Will I still get paid the same amount?
    2. Will I still get the same amount of time for holidays?

7. The sooner that ballot paper arrives on my doorstep the better. Time for a clear 'no' vote by EIS members and industrial action.
    These changes will not be accepted, nor should they.
    The McCrone deal went some way to addressing decades of shoddy conditions for teachers, 4 years to gain full registration, pitiful salaries etc. I for one simply don't accept that this is the only way of doing things. COSLA talk some nonsense about not wishing to rush into things by reorganising education authorities - funny that as it would mean 20 odd directors of education losing their £100k jobs.

Raging!

8. braemar

braemar New commenter

What would happen if the proposals are rejected? Strike action? I'm surprised that the Govt would allow this during an election campaign while they could've waited until the McCormac review was done.

9. With regards to pay, my reading of it is this

You will be paid the same (and god help you, remain at the same wage until 2013 at least) UNLESS, you are a supply teacher whereby you will be screwed over at point 1 of the scale for up to 8 days at a time. (Does anyone else see this as a recipe for disaster as teachers work their 8 days in a school then get punted out, only to have another supply teacher in on the same job?), or you are permanent and have not yet reached the top of the maingrade scale and you will therefore continue to receive your increments.

Holiday entitlement will stay the same I believe but the 40 day thing is there to prevent mums on maternity leave claiming back holidays they should've had when they were on leave. (The same thing applying to sick leave too).

I think this is the case anyway.

10. Yes, but not all other teachers will.
    Technically, yes.

11. catmother

catmother Lead commenter

Yes for now (that's probably on next year's list) but no if you are ill as you'll lose 10% of pay from day one of illness.
    If days are defined as school closure(for pupils),what is stopping them saying teachers should be at work?

12. That's my worry - look at all those LAs who wanted teachers in on snow days.

13. GuessWho

GuessWho New commenter

It's interesting that a cart and horses are being forced through many of our conditions of service with what amounts to nothing to sweeten the pill - ie to get some people to even consider voting for the proposals.
    In my authority probationers were told ar recently as last week that they would not get a job next year but instead be first in the queue for supply work!
    Every proposal is without merit and will affect every teacher...don't fall ill folks....I was led to believe the 90% rule would be for non-certified absences but it's for all....if you need an operation try and have it during the summer!

14. catmother

catmother Lead commenter

I know. It's all sort of out of the blue as if they've hated us for years and we did not even know about it!
    Basically,looks as if they want to see what we're going to do about it.

15. I posted this elsewhere but it's as good here -- they are doing all this in the hope that permanent classroom teacher staff won't fight for probationers, supply teachers and PTs and SMT on conserved salaries. And all this is before the McCormac review which might very well suggest further changes. The change in probationer time and the cutting of charter teacher send a clear message that professional development is a joke to the LAs - they don't value experience or teachers who try to improve and continually learn. Paying supply at a set rate again devalues experience and opens the door to the idea that supply teachers aren't doing "proper teaching" so we may as well get a TA or cover supervisor in to cover a class when the teacher is off. Vote against it.

16. kibosh

kibosh Star commenter

Thought this was quite interesting:

3. <font size="3" face="Arial,Arial">If the annual census of teachers in publicly funded schools in Scotland, undertaken in September 2011, reports fewer than 51,131 FTE either: </font><font size="3" face="Arial,Arial">- the agreement would be revisited through the SNCT and action proportionate to the failure to comply with the agreement would be agreed, including the possibility of reversion to the status quo ante OR
    - Scottish Government, based on the advice of the SNCT, <u>may seek to apply a sanction</u> to an individual Council in a proportionate manner, having regard to the &pound;60m savings that have been proposed in negotiations in the SNCT, provided that it is <u>absolutely clear</u> that that Council&rsquo;s actions have <u>materially contributed to the failure to comply</u>.

Btw, the underlines are mine.
    </font>

17. In what way? Seems like attempted blackmail to me. We can give jobs to all these unemployed teachers but we will pay them less, undermine their professionalism and gradually chip away at terms and conditions...but at least you'll have a job!

18. braemar

braemar New commenter

I have just looked at the teacher census results for 2010 and they indicated that there were 52,188 teachers. The number that they've come up with is 51,131...so a cut of 1057 is expected...seems to be an own goal....

19. braemar

braemar New commenter

20. halfajack

halfajack Occasional commenter