1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Heading Home after 10 years - Pay Scales

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by Training_2_Teach, Jun 15, 2020.

1. Training_2_Teach

Training_2_Teach New commenter

Hi,

I am currently working overseas and just approaching the end of my 8th year. I am hoping to head back home in the UK in another two years.

It only feels like yesterday when I was posting on these forums asking about what life of work is like in the sunny middle east, how quickly time has passed.

Before leaving the UK I reached MP6, I did not go through the threshold to secure the UPS L1.

On return, I am wondering where I would be placed on the pay scale:

• I did six years in the UK and was a QTS holder, HOD position/BTEC Co-ordinator
    • Overseas I will have done 10 years, I have maintained a very good professional development record, taught IGCSE/A Level British curriculum and held middle leadership/school wide roles (SLT)
    • I will have 16 years teaching experience in total

I just looked at the NUT website at the payscales and I know I have to face a drop in salary and I dreaded calculating what I will have left after paying all the bills/taxes etc

Based on my experience, is anyone able to suggest what pay Ievel I am likely to be expecting? Would they consider me for UPS and at what level?

2. starsandcookies

starsandcookies New commenter

I think these days it depends on how much the school wants & needs you. They have budgets and headteachers will try to save money where they can.

agathamorse and 24hours like this.
  3. Wotton

Wotton Lead commenter

Pay scales do not exist any more schools can pay what they like. Some schools do still follow the old pay scales but you don't automatically go up each year. moving up depends on your performance management.

agathamorse likes this.
  4. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

If you look carefully at the Union websites, you’ll see it says something like “these are the pay scales agreed by the unions.“

By the unions. Not by the government.

There are no longer official pay scales.

Pay portability, I.e. carrying your pay point from one school to the next doesn’t exist any more even for teachers moving between UK schools. It depends on how keen the school is to have you, and how little they think they can offer you to have you accept.

If you teach A-level Physics, there should be no problem. Maths quite good too. Primary not so much. But who knows actually what the job market will be, there may be mass resignations when the new normal teaching begins.

Applying for a job back in the UK can be a little tricky.
    This comment/section has been removed/edited for breaching our House Rules and/or Terms and Conditions.

Good luck with the negotiations when it comes to it. Salary deals are getting harder all the time as schools have their budgets squeezed.

Keep safe, everyone

agathamorse likes this.
  5. 4019775

4019775 New commenter

"There are no longer official pay scales.

Pay portability, I.e. carrying your pay point from one school to the next doesn’t exist any more even for teachers moving between UK schools."

You should learn the difference between the UK and England.

Pay scales still exist in Scotland and are followed by all councils and private schools. Pay portability and automatically going up a grade after a year are also still in force. The race to the bottom in England thankfully has not been followed everywhere.

agathamorse and PhuMyHung like this.
  6. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Very true, and my apologies, @4019775

agathamorse likes this.
  7. harsh-but-fair

harsh-but-fair Star commenter

No.

8. cheesypop

cheesypop Senior commenter

If you are lucky, a school might put you on the pay scale where you came off it when you left the UK.
    If you are unlucky, they will be worried that you are out of the loop when it comes to the UK education system and your time abroad could be an impediment. This is state school - private might be different if the courses align more.
    You would be expected to attend an interview face to face (pandemic permitting!). Therefore you would need to be here before you could search for jobs.
    You would not be put straight on UPS.

agathamorse likes this.
  9. T0nyGT

T0nyGT Lead commenter

Wow, an angry Scott. A truly rare sight to behold.

Do you have some sort of alert system that notifies you when someone mentions the UK, so you can check that Scotland has been included. There are only 5 million people living in Scotland compared to 55 million people living in England so yes, usually when people say the UK, they mean England.

We all know England's a miserable place with a shoddy education system, but let's not pretend people are queueing up to work in England's cousin either.

TusitalaH, motorhomer and 24hours like this.
  10. bigfatgit

bigfatgit Occasional commenter

Where's the queue for tearing down T0nyGT's statue?
    ;););)

T0nyGT and motorhomer like this.
  11. tica

tica New commenter

Unnecessary, nasty and irrelevant post. Typical.

12. T0nyGT

T0nyGT Lead commenter

It was tongue-in-cheek. Back to your morning whisky

13. T0nyGT

T0nyGT Lead commenter

I'd be first in line

14. bigfatgit

bigfatgit Occasional commenter

Seemingly, Violent Vegans want to tear down my statue in Dundee

Attached Files: