1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Headaches Part 2

Discussion in 'Personal' started by anon3372, Jan 5, 2011.

1. I posted about this in the Summer and most of us came to the conclusion it was down to the weather.
    But they are back again - constantly.
    If I take any more tablets I will rattle.
    Haven't had time to get to the docs - and they are not migranes - just niggley, persisent headaches.
    Apart from moving to a desert island with a boy with a palm to fan me and maids to wait on me - what on earth do I do to get RID of them?

2. I posted about this in the Summer and most of us came to the conclusion it was down to the weather.
    But they are back again - constantly.
    If I take any more tablets I will rattle.
    Haven't had time to get to the docs - and they are not migranes - just niggley, persisent headaches.
    Apart from moving to a desert island with a boy with a palm to fan me and maids to wait on me - what on earth do I do to get RID of them?

3. Go to the doctor. If they aren't going when you take painkillers and (I'm assuming) you have ruled out stuff like eyestrain it could be something serious. Think how silly you'd feel if you had a brain tumour and instead of going to the doctor you'd posted here.

4. airy - I am fairly sure it is not a brain tumour!
    But yes - I will go to the docs.
    I think it could be eye strain - it was suggested in the Summer too.
    It just makes me so grumpy [​IMG]
    I wasn't expecting a diagnosis - just some tips to alleviate the immediate pain.

5. Ah! The Worst-case scenario! Always my first port of call too!
    CQ you know there are far more perfectly harmless if debilitating causes of headaches than sinister and dangerous ones, but airy is right: you could be harbouring a narrowed artery for all you know. Go and have it checked out.

6. Visit the docs. Sometimes worry about the pain exacerbates it. It could be serious but you could also come away with a relieved mind, and a suggestion that you read Paul McKenna's 'Change your life in 7 days'.

7. perriwinkle

perriwinkle New commenter

In addition to all of the above, have you considered the fact they might be 'rebound' headaches caused by having taken too many tablets? I get these if I take them for too long, especially if I take high strength tablets.

If possible, try and wean off the tablets and drink lots and lots of water............it might help, whilst you're waiting to see the doctor?

An icepack often helps too, if only to freeze your brain so you can't feel the headache!!

8. Is fairly sure really good enough in the circumstances?
    Then get down to the opticians and see.
    I wouldn't imagine staring at a computer screen helps. In fact, when did you change job and do you spend more time in front of a computer? Take some ibuprofen with a large glass of water and go and lie down and listen to something entertaining on the radio. And make an appointment with one or both of the above professionals.

9. henriette

henriette New commenter

Cranial Osteopathy!
    o/h had headaches for a year which dr put down to (variously) "stress", "a virus" and "I don't know".
    He went private and had a scan - nothing wrong.
    6 visits to the osteopath who also does cranial had him sorted!

10. My first thought too was "rebound headaches". Try going a few days without taking any tablets. Even if you have to suffer for a bit. Sorry to hear your unwell. From a fellow headache sufferer, VP xxx

11. littlemissraw

littlemissraw Occasional commenter

I've been getting them too. Found Origins 'Peace of Mind - on the spot relief' eases them alot but are driving me potty too.

12. I have suffered from headaches since I was about 15. When I went the docs they were useless and not at all concerned. They didnt send me for any kinds of tests instead they told me not to take any painkillers unless it was one of my most severe headaches as I would get too used to them.
    I'm 23 now and still get them, often on a daily basis. I have been really bad for the past week and painkillers don't touch the pain. My partner is that used to hearing me complain he tells me to inform him when I *haven't* got one.
    For me I have just got on with it. I have found that mine are also linked to dehydration and drinking tons and tons of water sometimes keeps them at bay.
    Good luck, hope you have better look than me!

13. Apart from teaching, all my jobs have involved looking at a computer screen but this one is quite extreme - I reckon I am looking at a computer screen for a good 10 hours a day.
    It is why I am not on here as often as I used to be - I cannot take anymore computer.

14. You work ten hours a day? If that's all in front of a computer I suspect you may have found teh source of your headaches!

15. They sound like stress headaches. And yes, they come and go and can last for weeks and niggle away at you and get you down.
    Try to relax.

16. Change your pillow to one of those expensive shaped memory foam ones as it could be compressed vertebrae in your neck. Go and get your eyes tested. Go and see an osteopath.

If you had a brain tumour you'd be getting other symptoms. Having a niggling long term headache is very annoying but you won't get much joy from the NHS as they;re not interested unless you really are dying.

17. Try turning the brightness of your monitor down.

18. I should maybe point out that I wasn't entirely serious about the brain tumour...Beestoni, CQ is in Deutschland and doesn't have to worry about the NHS so she might a different service there.

19. Don't you suffer from neck problems? One of the most common causes of headache is related to shoulder/neck problems, and in particular problems with the trapezium muscle, which inserts in the back of your skull and runs in a triangle shape out over your shoulder and down the centre of your neck/upper back.
    It is often the most common cause of headache, but one of the most easily misdiagnosed.
    Another common cause of headache is problems with the temperomandibular joint, ie your jaw bone. This is also commonly missed.
    Google them both, and see if you have any of the symptoms.
    You should really go to the doctor, though.

20. lapinrose

lapinrose Lead commenter

It could also be sinusitis, try steam inhalations. I go along with a neck problem as well, otseopath.Do you get pain if you press just above the eybrows?

Sniff lavender or drink lavender tea may hel, you could also be dehydrated, so lots of water, cold compress on the forehead.