1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Headache!

Discussion in 'Computing and ICT' started by Trendy Art, Jan 22, 2012.

1. Trendy Art

Trendy Art Star commenter

* Have posted in HoD forum as well, but would appreciate any responses from you great people too...
    In the department ICT is taken as core and option in Y10.
    There are mixed ability core groups. There is another teacher who is responsible for the option (who has been on long term sick), who have students who also take the core in addition. I separated the option students into core groups taught by the teacher, so she has the overview of them.
    SLT ask me to switch from OCR Nationals to GCSE due to political situation, so I spend time changing the groups and have to stream them by ability. Team understand the reasons, but the option students get scattered across core with different teachers.
    When I actually got the time, because lesson resources had to be in place, I put a proposal to SLT citing not enough time to teach GCSE. Since the E-bacc has come along, ICT will not get precedence for extra days off-timetable to give correct guided learning hours.
    Therefore new streamed groups have to be maintained and OCR Nationals returns - there is no way that the controlled assessments could be complete (75 mins a week in Y10 and Y11).
    Half of the team want to teach one unit and other half want to teach another - as their strengths are with certain software to teach kids better. But the one who is on long term sick contacted me, having heard all this, to say that the option group is now made up of students who are doing both units taught by different colleagues and it is a situation that she doesn't want when she returns.
    Do I tell the whole department to do one unit (but half the team will be unhappy/not confident teaching it), or tell the teacher who is to return that she will have to take on the option group with mixed units? Or is there something I have missed and a better solution exists?
    Thanks for any responses.

2. I've read that 4 times and I still don't understand it. What I do know is that as long as Unit 1 is covered, the students can use a variety of combinations to get their final qualification. Does this not offer you/your team the flexibility to have some groups doing Unit 21 and others 23 (for example?)

3. DEmsley

DEmsley New commenter

Units 21, 22, and 23 have exactly the same content just different outcomes. Should be a doddle to teach all three in one class.

4. Trendy Art

OK... let's try that again.
    Cohort in 2 sides of timetable - 4 x 2 = 8 groups doing OCR Nats First Award
    1 option group (Say with Teacher A) - who also do core = OCR Nats (National Award=2 GCSEs).
    At the start, I had kept Teacher A's students with their core group's each on both sides of timetable.
    But the changing of goalposts by government and SLT, meant streaming groups. That mixed students up into the different teachers' groups after I told them that GCSE was not possible.
    Teacher A now has students doing 2 different units i.e. web design and multimedia in the option group. These are being separately taught in core by other staff. Teacher A has a situation where both web and multimedia students exist in their group.
    Does that make sense?
    It's confusing the heck out of me in all honesty!!

5. Captain Obvious

Captain Obvious New commenter

So the mixed up class were doing web and multimedia in their respective option classes before the change (and not their core group)?
    It's a matter of having a good memory and getting them all to finish their respective unit, although that does result in few "formally taught" lessons (I have a fairly open attitude to option groups - I tend to let the able students motor ahead onto other units). Then you've just got to select a unit that's not being covered by their core lessons.
    ...simple...?

6. tjra

tjra Occasional commenter

Similar to how we did/do it here. It can be difficult teaching different units - this can be overcome by decent resources that enable them to work independently with some guidance from you. There is some crossover with Unit 2 and Unit 4 (I assume you mean these two?) in the nature of what is done.

7. Trendy Art

Thanks for all the thoughts everyone... it's not an issue so much for me as it is for the member of staff who will pick up the group. She is not the most receptive colleague...