1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Head with history!

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by samtheman, Mar 30, 2012.

1. Just wondering if anyone has any advice.....
    A new Head was appointed in March last year and took up the new position since September. On paper and at interview this person seemed the best candidate - ticked all the boxes for the governors involved in the recruitment process but ........................
    Almost from Day 1 this person has belittled staff, threatened one and all with capability , bragged about having had experience at Tribunals etc, etc. Staff have been shouted at , summoned and b *****cked , and generally told they are **** ! (Actual word used!)
    Anyhow, 2 experienced - and over 50 - teachers , have now been put on 8 weeks suppport with a view to beginning capability in September , Unions have become involved and it has come to light that this HT has History - has been disciplined over similar issues and the LEA has been heavily fined as a result!
    My question - how can this happen? Could the Govs have prevented this - known about this History? More importantly - what can be done ?

2. chriszwinter1

chriszwinter1 New commenter

The trouble is that the governing body are responsible. They have the power to put the head on capability and get rid of him. If they appointed him in ignorance of his past they should consult the authority with a view to dealing with him. He is not above the law.
    The staff must stand together.

3. Why assume the HT is a male? (Unless I've missed something) and why assume the school is under the control of the LEA and that an LEA advsier was around. The school could be an academy, with no LEA oversight.
    If the HT has such previous form including tribunals etc, then those proceedings are probbaly availble somewhere.That could prove very embarrasssing if revealed.
    But I'm not sure why the LEA would be fined. Was it a fine and what criminal offence did it relate to. Maybe the LEA simply paid compensation for some proven wrong doing by the HT. Maybe non eof it is true and just rumour. Anyway, if true it should be poss to find out frm publicly available sources.
    Time for some digging....

4. chriszwinter1

<ol>[*]About the head being male? Yes, you're right. The OP doesn't make it clear.[*]If one of the LEA's advisors was involved and pushing for a certain candidate, then it stinks.</ol>The truth does need to be established.

5. OK - so more information coming up!
    The HEAD is male, the school is LEA controlled , the Govs were told there were no issues surrounding any of the candidates. An LEA was present throughout both the shortlisting and both days of the interviewing process.

6. chriszwinter1

Thank you for clarifying that. From what you say, the governors need to do what they're supposed to: govern, i.e. hold the HT to account. And they should also be taking the matter up with the authority.

7. A number of the staff have already spoken to the Govs re. the head's heavy handed behaviour , his shouting at TAs. telling TA s they are **** etc - the Govs have in turn gone to the Head - who ( it has been reported ) has gone to SLT declaring "I don't care what they say , I will speak to my staff as and how I want to!"

8. chriszwinter1

Then they all need to act together.
    It's a good job I'm not a cynic [​IMG], because if I were I might be inclined to think that LEA had done this deliberately in order to offload one of their less pleasant characters, but that doesn't absolve the governors of their responsibility to the staff as a whole: duty of care, etc.

9. The only advice I can offer is what I was told when I found myself in your situation. Get out, quickly, and don't look back. Your health and sanity are more important.

10. chriszwinter1

Damn good advice and reasoning. Wish I had done that years ago.

11. Having spoken to the Union , I am now aware that " ** (the HT in question) was taken to an Industrial Tribunal and lost in an Unfair Dismissal hearing. I do not atm have specific detail about this but will have in due course once I talk to the Regional Representative at the N.U.T. Easter Conference tomorrow. It was he who was on that particular case. I will contact you this time next week".

Why should I leave - I have done nothing wrong!! Having spoken to a fellow governor, it has been confirmed that at the time of the selection . interveiw, appointment process that there was nothing we needed to be aware of re any of the candidates!!