1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Head who invents jobs

Discussion in 'Primary' started by WolfPaul, Jun 12, 2011.

1. WolfPaul

WolfPaul New commenter

Yes, subject to approval from the governing body. Only Headships and Deputy Headships have to be advertised.

2. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

I think there should be a consultation period though if there is to be a change in management structure. Our SENCO role became AH recently and there was a consultation document put up. Not sure anyone read it, let alone commented, but was still there.

3. stuffedcrust

stuffedcrust New commenter

I thought it would have been fair to let other members of the SLT know that an opportunity for promotion was there. Seems Heads can do what they like then? Gutted!

4. Stuffedcrust there was no opportunity for promotion - the head obviously wanted the person who he gave the job to. Would it have been more fair on you to put you through application and interview process only to give the job to them anyway?

5. stuffedcrust

stuffedcrust New commenter

Yes - that would have been fair to at least know that the opportunity was there for all to have a go. Finding out on a newsletter to parents that the role is filled before we knew there even was a role was definitely NOT fair.

6. I see why you're frustrated, but I actually think this is more fair. He knows you all well and knew who he wanted for that job. But yes, it will get people's backs up.
    It drove me insane applying for jobs when you just knew there would be an internal candidate or a student etc who's name was written all over it, and it was only being advertised for legalities. Its horrible putting so much effort into something you dont have a fair chance at.

7. Would you really have wanted to apply for a job when someone else was already going to get it?
    Last year the closing for a promotion at our school changed and i narrowly missed it. The head said i was too late - by 5 minutes?? there was only one other applicant (who tells me it was a really tough interview but she managed to get the job!) I was glad i found out what the head was like and that i hadn't put myself through the interview for nothing. Yes, i am still at the same school but the head isn't - one of us had to go. lol

8. As others have said, it is the HT right to assign these jobs to who they see fit. For PR reasons, it would obviously be better to share the news in person at a staff meeting rather than from a newsletter. I would be put out by finding out this way.