1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Head trying to get rid of job shares in school

Discussion in 'Pay and conditions' started by honestyrose, Apr 1, 2012.

1. HELP:

Spent past 24 hours worrying about this. I have a permanent 2 day a week contract. Head wants to reorganise school as she has evidence job shares have a detrimental affect on her school. My job share partner has been put with another job share who is off with stress (issues with head) and I have been put with the deputy head to cover her management/SEN duties. My new job is one day.

Can my Head cut my job to one day?

I offered to work full time. Other member of staff are unhappy with their move from 4 days to full time and change in year group. Head will say nothing is fixed yet as we only found out as we broke up for Easter.

Thank you

2. HELP:

Spent past 24 hours worrying about this. I have a permanent 2 day a week contract. Head wants to reorganise school as she has evidence job shares have a detrimental affect on her school. My job share partner has been put with another job share who is off with stress (issues with head) and I have been put with the deputy head to cover her management/SEN duties. My new job is one day.

Can my Head cut my job to one day?

I offered to work full time. Other member of staff are unhappy with their move from 4 days to full time and change in year group. Head will say nothing is fixed yet as we only found out as we broke up for Easter.

Thank you

3. You must contact your union.

4. frustum

frustum Lead commenter

Definitely a union matter.

5. Thank you. I spoke to my Head today and also Union rep. I'll cross fingers that I get more days in the re-organisation if not will work with union towards getting a settlement for the day lost. Still gutted at the way it was managed we were all told together in an open staff meeting.

6. frustum

frustum Lead commenter

I think that actually you should be working with your union towards examining the legalities of what the head is doing.
    As I understand it, they are enttled to change your terms and conditions if you agree. If you don't agree, then they need to go down the road of terminating your current contract and offering a new one: that means procedures to be followed. Dismissing someone for being part-time can count as indirect dscrimination. It's complicated, so you need union advice - but if you all say "yes, fine", it will be too late to get any union help - so make sure everyone consults unions before you go back.

7. It strikes me that reorganising with the stated intention of "getting rid of all part time workers" might just break this:-
    " If you are a part-time worker you are protected from being treated less
    favourably than an equivalent full-time worker just because you are part
    time. The only exception this is if your employer can objectively
    justify their treatment of you." DirectGov

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Employment/Employees/Flexibleworking/DG_173304
    Now the question is - when will the HT be put on capability for this kind of incompetence? You are not fit to run a school if you can't either look up employment law, or make a phone call to the LEA HR department.

8. Hi to update you since last Easters shake up out off 11 teachers this September 2 will be left. I'm currently on sick with stress along with two others one in a psychiatric hospital. The Head has worked us out one by one. I no longer wish to teach. I have contacted the union who are negotiating on my behalf. I have received papers from region to see if I have a case for stress as a personal injury claim. I'm not alone in leaving the profession all of my colleagues from the same place have too. It's 20 years of my life and now I'm left with no profession