1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Head to deputy pay differential

Discussion in 'Pay and conditions' started by crezz1, Feb 14, 2016.

1. crezz1

crezz1 New commenter

I have just started at an established Academy that uses the STPCD as a Head Teacher. I have found out that my deputy is paid just one point on the leadership spine below me.
    Do I have any grounds to appeal? I couldn't really find anything in the latest STPCD. My deputy is fantastic so it's not about reducing their pay/scale, but can I legitimately do anything about mine?
    For information I am an experienced Head.

2. wanet

wanet Star commenter

Presumably you negotiated this when you accepted the post?

3. crezz1

crezz1 New commenter

Actually no! It's been a bit of a sudden journey to get there, - can't go into details - I knew we were a bottom end group 2 school so thought it might be a mid range point, but it seems to be right at the bottom - just one away from the DHT

4. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

@Rott Weiler - you know anything about this?

Best wishes

5. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

STPCD rules changed in 2014 and since then the HT and DHT ranges can overlap as long as the top of the DHT range doesn't exceed the top of the HT range, although STPCD says "The pay range for a deputy or assistant headteacher should only overlap the headteacher’s pay range in exceptional circumstances" so normally the top of DHT range should be at least one point below the bottom of the HT range.

Your situation crezz1 could therefore comply with STPCD if there is no 'gap' between the DHT and HT ranges: ie if you were appointed at bottom of HT range and DHT is at top of DHT range. You are correct that an HT can be placed anywhere in the bottom half of HT range (ie up to and including the mid-point of the HT range), but surely the academy told you what point they were going to put you on when they offered you the job so you knew it was the bottom point?

I can see that when accepting the offered pay point for your job you didn't know what the DHT was on, but even so I'm not sure that gives you grounds for a pay appeal.

6. crezz1

crezz1 New commenter

Thanks Rottweiler! Your assumption is correct that I did not know the DHT's point when I was offered the post. The School is just - and only just a Group 2, so I thought that the pay scale would naturally start at the range for Group 2 schools. However, considering that I was offered the post without consultation [another story] of pay scale, I thought at least it could be worth putting the question to the CEO - i don't think they would have realised the scale of the Deputy's pay.

7. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

>
    Raising it informally with the academy CEO to start with is what I would do.

8. crezz1

crezz1 New commenter

Thank for all the advice folks!