1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Head teachers ' Issues

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by adell, Nov 24, 2015.

1. adell

adell New commenter

Hi, I am trying to identify the key issues for head teachers as prep for an interview.
    What do you think are the top 4 concerns for head teachers at the moment.
    Any thoughts wil be very gratefully received.
    Thanks!

2. secretsiren

secretsiren Star commenter

I would have thought recruitment and retention are big concerns, considering the profession is haemorrhaging and not enough people are signing up to complete the courses. I would recommend keeping my staff morale as a priority on my headteacher list in order to stop a flow out of my school.

Progress 8 and the new focus on 90% plus completing the EBacc would also be a concern, along with the new funding formula and the pressures on budgets.

midnight_angel likes this.
  3. monicabilongame

monicabilongame Star commenter

4. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Hullo there @adell , and well done for getting that interview!

I assume that you are currently a DHT and member of SLT, so you'll have some pretty good ideas yourself. I would add Prevent and Safeguarding to the list above, by the way, as well as demography (depending on where you are) . And as @secretsiren says, every issue has to be placed in the context of squeezes on funding.

Once you have identified the key issues that you would like to concentrate on, you would do well to do mind maps for them, thinking them through, including their possible solutions. If there are any!

And now for some general interview advice.

Here is your week's homework: not all of these advice articles are relevant to you, but I've included them for the benefit of anyone else who may read this.

Preparing for Interview I suggest that you read these in this order

Help, I've got an interview!*** The basic advice ***

Teaching an observed lesson at interview

Using mind-mapping for interviews*** The best-loved advice ***

Tell us about yourself - dream or nightmare question?*** Read and note this ***

Daft Interview Questions

What shall I wear to the interview?

Interviews – making a positive first impression

How do you decide who to appoint?

What excuse can I give for going to interview?

Child Protection: the questions, NOT the answers

A typical Child Protection Policy

Two interviews and a dilemma

Interview feedback - they blamed my experience, but they knew that when they shortlisted me!

SLT interviews - possible questions

In-tray exercises. Deputy Head

Assistant Head interviews

General interview questions

Questions to ask at the end of your interview

The tradition on here when you get a job is to go to the Jobseekers Forum and start a brand-new thread called Dear Theo - I got that job!

This allows people to congratulate you, and gives fresh enthusiasm and hope to other jobseekers. Make sure that you congratulate someone when you see a thread like this.

So to finish I'll say: I'm looking forward to your Dear Theo - I got that job!

Best wishes and good luck

5. adell

adell New commenter

Brilliant thanks so much for your advice.

6. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

I think one of my concerns is that people are applying for headships without having sufficient experience of knowledge to be able to think for themselves.

7. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

Is this not school dependent, to a point?
    I know, as it happens, the top four issues for my current head, but they would be utterly irrelevant in some other schools and you'l look a right nit giving them as your examples.

8. veneris

veneris New commenter

1. Teaching and learning
    2. Teaching and learning
    3. Teaching and learning
    4. Teaching and learning

Sorry, that might not help you much with interview but it'll be invaluable advice if you get the job ;)

9. veneris

veneris New commenter

They want your thoughts on this and your passion behind it. Don't try to second guess what a Head's interview panel will want. Give them what you believe in. If you don't you'll come off worse against someone who does have the passion of their own convictions, or you risk getting a job that isn't the right one for you.

Good luck!