1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Head teacher woes

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by starflower15, Jun 23, 2015.

1. Hi,

My school has had a new head teacher arrive in September. Sometimes she is quite rude about people and makes comments about what they are wearing and talks openly about them in front of others.It is making quite a few of us very uncomfortable and also quite insecure, because you never know whether she might be talking about you. I don't think she even realises she's doing it, let alone offending people. She's oblivious.

What do I do? I love my school and don't wish to leave, and I don't wish to make a complaint as there is nothing 'tangible' to complain about, but save avoiding being in the same room as her, what else can I do? It's weighing heavily on me. Our job is hard enough, without the head making judgmental comments.

2. Morninglover

Morninglover Star commenter

I'd start secretly recording some of these comments...Might be useful evidence later....

3. School Boy Error

School Boy Error Occasional commenter

If you don't want to complain or leave the only thing you can do is challenge the head teacher when she says something you find offensive. I'd do this in private and say something along the lines of, "I'm sure you didn't mean to but when you said ..... I was quite upset."

4. Dunteachin

Dunteachin Star commenter

Yeah, and that'll mark your card, for sure.

I suppose you could counter her negative remarks with positive ones. If you all do it, she'll get the message.

5. Rockchick2112

Rockchick2112 New commenter

I still find it difficult to get my head around how people like this manage to become headteachers. When people make personal comments about others (especially to their faces), it either means that they don't understand the impact of that (which can happen in people with asperger syndrome) or they know what they are doing, in which case they are emotionally abusive. Unfortunately I am not sure that countering her negative remarks will have the desired impact because emotionally abusive people have often been used to behaving that way for a long time and they are not going to stop doing it 'just like that.'

6. Amylicorice

Amylicorice New commenter

A bully or worse psychopath in the work place will hide behind other people giving them the benefit of the doubt until they've bullied and intimidated and picked their targets, by then it's too late.

I always respond quickly and honestly to personal comments ' I'm sure you didn't mean to sound harsh then but you did' in front of everyone, never in private, always with a blonde non confrontational smile. They'll quickly learn not to do it in front of you. If they learn that you'll know they do it on purpose in front of others. Then you know they are bullies.

7. Thank you all for your thoughts. I am starting to think that she genuinely doesn't realise she's doing it, or that she doesn't care. Is it normal practise to talk about your staff openly in corridors where anyone can hear? My previous heads haven't done that!