1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Head teacher post requirements

Discussion in 'Headteachers' started by tempsc, Jun 7, 2017.

1. tempsc

tempsc New commenter

Greetings to all.

I'm interested in learning about the precise minimum legal requirements for head teachers to be considered for a post.

Specifically, does the candidate have to have a teaching qualification for example......or other minimal requirements to be considered for this most important role? It is my understanding that for academies, for example, there may be occasions when the role might be undertaken in a 'CEO' type of role. What about in a plain vanilla secondary school for example?

Personally speaking, I think that all head teachers/principals etc should have a teaching qualification as an absolute minimum but would very much appreciate further advice or opinions on this query.

Thanks and look forward to hearing your views.

install likes this.
  2. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

@tempsc Whatever type of school it is - academy/free school or Local Authority - there is no legal requirement for a headteacher to be a teacher or have QTS or have any teaching experience. In schools that are 'standalone - ie not in Multi-Academy Trust or Federation - it would still be highly unusual for governors to appoint someone as head who did not have QTS. It has happened from time to time but often has turned out badly. In MATs/Federations different models of leadership are being developed.

I see from your profile that you are a parent. If by "plain vanilla secondary school" you mean a single, standalone, school that isn't part of any MAT, federation or 'hard' collaboration I would be concerned about any plans by governors to appoint a head without QTS. It might be legal but the precedents are't encouraging.

3. Sundaytrekker

Sundaytrekker Star commenter

I have always seen QTS as an essential requirement in the person specification for headteacher. I understand that it nota legal requirement, however.

install likes this.
  4. clangerville

clangerville New commenter

On a similar note, what do people think of NPHQ? I have been away from UK for years (many as a Head) and wish to come back so was wondering if this would be a useful addition to the CV.

install likes this.
  5. Pomza

Pomza Star commenter

As mentioned in a previous thread recently. I have never encountered an 'unqualified' head and the trust CEOs I've met were all previously heads too.

If you look at the person spec attached to any HT vacancy, generally, 'QTS' is at the top of the 'essential' column...

6. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

I'm assuming your child's school has recently appointed a headteacher who you don't believe has a teaching qualification.

There is nothing at all wrong with this, but as others have said it certainly isn't ideal.
    Then again it could well be a whole lot better than having no head at all.

7. Sundaytrekker

Sundaytrekker Star commenter

NPQH is no longer mandatory but many governors put it on the person specification for headteacher. I found my NPQH interesting and useful.

install likes this.
  8. tempsc

tempsc New commenter

Hi and thanks for the comments. I too share your concerns and simply can't understand that there is no requirement. I just find it very strange that teaching staff should have professional requirements but not the very position that heads up the SLT. Does this decision go back to Mr Gove as root cause? :)

install likes this.
  9. Startedin82

Startedin82 Established commenter

Personally, I would struggle to understand how a GB could appoint a HT without a teaching qualification. The NPQH should be essential as well.

install likes this.
  10. clangerville

I have just found a NPQH course online and been accepted. Would anyone recommend any reading material? I am sure they will send all that later, but it is always good to hear what other people think are good books or articles!

install likes this.
  11. Marshall

Marshall Star commenter

'Found an NPQH course online'? Many thoughts arise about this!!!

12. install

install Star commenter

Most heads I have worked with have found the face to face and group approach very supportive. My mate got refused the on line one because the ht felt it would not provide the support needed.

13. clangerville

Why? If you can get doctorates and masters online, why not this course?

14. Jesmond12

Jesmond12 Star commenter

They are not cheap to do - who is funding this? When my DHT applied I had to complete a supporting statement. Have you spoken to your HT re this?

Regrettably I cannot recommend any reading material. When I did mine back in 2004 it was a completely different format.

install likes this.
  15. caterpillartobutterfly

Same here, none of mine are printable!!:D:D:D

16. jehanzebnavid

jehanzebnavid New commenter

Interesting and informative discussion, especially the fact that one need to know the industry to make it work - a completely understandable point.
    Though my query is, people with other Masters qualifications in cluding management degrees and working experience of school, can they be qualified for HTs? or QTS and or NPQH is a must have? I've seen many ads of HT and all of them note QTS as an essential but then again what does essential means? As some suggested above it is not a legal requirement but doesn't noting in application packs 'essential' makes it almost 'must have requirement'? i.e. people with non QTS should not apply? I've also seen on BBC news website that back in 2011 NPQH requirement was https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-16050321 no longer compulsory. Did it mean NPQH is not but QTS is compulsory? So to reitterate, can non-QTS and non-NPQH people be HTs?
    Many thanks for everyone's kind input in this interesting discussion.

17. CarrieV

CarrieV Lead commenter

My understanding is that the only member of staff who legally has to be a qualified teacher is the SENCO!

Flanks likes this.
  18. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

NPQH is no longer a statutory requirement to be a headteacher but manu governing bodies will list it as an 'essential' qualification - essential to them.

For academies CarrieV's comment is correct, teachers in academies, including the headteacher, do not legally have to hold QTS other than the SENCO. But that doesn't mean academies and academy trusts would be willing to appoint someone as head without QTS.

In LA schools teachers do have to hold QTS but the headteacher does not. However, a head in an LA school without QTS would not be able to teach pupils.

There have been only a handful of cases of non-teachers being appointed as heads and most have ended badly. The likelihood of a non-teacher being appointed a head is about zero.

19. caterpillartobutterfly

Are you the same person as the OP, but with a different username?