1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Head paying wife

Discussion in 'Headteachers' started by efg, Apr 11, 2018.

1. catbefriender

catbefriender Lead commenter

You're telling me. One of my tutoring students had a problem with the Head's son, said he was picking on him and his mother made a complaint and found out then it was the Head's son and it didn't go down well. It was one of those students with SEN who have confidence/low self esteem issues bordering on Aspergers, the sort of thing we all know about, if we are bothered to do the QTS training. The mum wants him to move school, but it's outstanding!

Mrsmumbles likes this.
  2. Mrsmumbles

Mrsmumbles Star commenter

Just worked very recently at one of those. It still stinks!

catbefriender likes this.
  3. Mrsmumbles

The joke known as OFSTEDshould make it a law that all schools have up to date online and easy to access staff lists. I’ve said this before. Firstly, if the same surnames popped up, that would perhaps reveal this sort of nepotism. Secondly, if a prospective local applicant kept checking the staff lists every term and saw rapid staff turnover, as evidenced by alll the new staff name changes, that would make them think twice about applying to Capability College. Funny how so few schools update their staff lists...or...actually... quite premeditated...

4. Mrsmumbles

Sadly, I think that Schools are possibly Britain’s most ageist employers. I’m now 47. I’d like to return, but by the time my heads straight, I’ll be unemployable. I’ll be oldish. I don’t want to work for idiots who think like that.

5. Mrsmumbles

But what about the following year, when, following a dazzling appraisal from hubbie and his cowed SLT, her ladyship becomes a Faculty Head? I wouldn’t want her to ge5 in with it then. I would want her to fleck off and train for the job like everyone else. But once the nepotistic foot has wedged itself in the school door.....

6. catbefriender

catbefriender Lead commenter

I think you are right about teaching being the most ageist profession and the statistics will not be forthcoming from the DoE I am sure i.e. how many older teachers are out of work, how many apply for jobs, how many get interviewed, how many are leaving due to capability etc?. The problem is SLTs don't have the courage to say, we don't want oldies, instead they find euphemisms such as, 'Dynamic, energetic, get up and go attitude' which studies have shown subliminally intimidate older prospective employees.

If SLTs really are having a difficult time recruiting now they are going to be really struggling come 2020 when a third of the UK workforce is over 50 and Brexit will be in full force. There are some interesting case studies in a DWP pdf I read of industries where management decided that the ONLY way to have a long term sustainable workforce was to employ oldies, some of them in their 60s and did the logistics to ensure they not only adapted the workplace environment but their management style to the needs of an aging workforce.

A lot of younger management staff in industry have had to go on training because they were scared of managing people as old as their parents.

Younger staff is faster becoming a real commodity in industry and now there will be less competition from Europe, job movement will be easier for UK born citizens as it was in the 80s and 90s.

Will teaching be able to attract and retain as many graduates when there are more graduate opportunities in industry?
    Will older teachers want to return to teaching after discovering self sustaining alternative niches where they can work without the fear of becoming micro managed maniacs?

7. galerider123

galerider123 Lead commenter

?

8. galerider123

Not if your name was very common. Also, some (indeed, most Moslem) females do not take their husband's name so their children would have different surnames anyway.
    I imagine that parents are far more likely to notice and become unsettled. Personally I would be looking to see if there were any staff over 50 employed there to see if it was worth bothering with an application (!)

9. Mrsmumbles

Aha, yes....define ‘outstanding’! Outstanding results can be caused by outstanding levels of bullying, kicking out kids who strugge, and number-fiddling. Which is outstandingly bad. But OFSTED likes this sort of behaviour, so that’s all fine, then...

catbefriender and galerider123 like this.
  10. galerider123

Do you mean bullying of staff?