1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Head paying wife

Discussion in 'Headteachers' started by efg, Apr 11, 2018.

1. efg

efg New commenter

Our head is paying his wife to come in for days at a time to offer some additional qualifications. She is not a teacher. They have their own company, pretty sure he pays her £300 a day. She can only have a maximum of 12 students. Silly question but is this acceptable? And what can be done?

2. Jesmond12

Jesmond12 Star commenter

Are the Governing Body aware of the arrangement?

3. efg

efg New commenter

They are aware she has been In. But they are unaware of the extent.

4. install

install Star commenter

Your Union could advise here. Tread carefully though and let your Union voice any concerns not you.

5. mbee1

mbee1 New commenter

The teaching profession, especially since Academisation, has become more like the Houses of Parliament!

6. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

The school, whether LA or academy, will have financial procedures rules about this sort of situation. For example that the head must have had nothing to do with the appointment because of a conflict of interest. And that the school must have taken steps to establish that her appointment represents good value for money. You say the governors are aware so it's possible that the have followed proper procedure. How much she is paid is clearly relevant to 'value for money' question. It probably isn't relevant that she doesn't have QTS but that depends what she is teaching. If its a vocational-type qualification then 'instructors' don't need QTS even in LA schools.

Don't go it alone though. As others have said get your union to follow it up.

7. meggyd

meggyd Lead commenter

If it doesn't affect you leave it. I can understand though you might be in the same faculty and working for less pay or with bigger classes and justifiably feel aggrieved, but if you are in English and she is in ICT, say, I would leave well alone and let someone else fight this battle.

8. Marshall

Marshall Star commenter

meggyd - if we all thought that then nothing would ever happen! Really surprised at this comment:(

9. dunnocks

dunnocks Star commenter

I used to work in a school where many of the managers paid their teenage children to do admin jobs. It stank

Mrsmumbles and catbefriender like this.
  10. meggyd

meggyd Lead commenter

Sometimes you have to pick your battles.

11. efg

efg New commenter

Thanks for the comments. No job was advertised - she just appeared.
    She will now probably be doing all the work experience vetting! I will contact the union. Thanks again

install likes this.
  12. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

Does anyone else want this job? It's been years since I was in a school where it was relevant, but it was definitely a job no-one wanted. Your colleagues might not thank you if you get rid of the (overpaid, granted) mug who has agreed to do it.

13. Pomza

Pomza Star commenter

What is work experience vetting?

Mrsmumbles likes this.
  14. catbefriender

catbefriender Lead commenter

In one of my local academies the Head has his wife, two sons and both their girlfriends working there. This stuff has been going on for years and it's really important to know who's who in the school. Can you imagine if someone, who didn't know she was his wife made a comment about the school/Head?

Nothing surprises me in this profession, if we can call it that, anymore. Loads of qualified, experienced teachers in need of paid work and individuals without so much as a Level 3 qualification in anything teaching up to GCSE.

15. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

Where you check out all the places the kids are going to.
    So you make sure the darlings are safe and the work is appropriate.

16. Pomza

Pomza Star commenter

I see - thanks.:)

Sounds terrible.

Let the wife get on with it!

17. Pomza

Pomza Star commenter

Where are they? Schools cannot find anywhere near enough decent qualified teachers - Hence, 'recruitment crisis'...

18. catbefriender

335,000 qualified teachers of working age, in the UK not teaching in schools and of them 100,000 who qualified and have never completed induction. The return to teaching programme trains/has around 10,000 on their books each year, so there are qualified, experienced teachers out there looking for work. However those looking for teachers don't seem to want these teachers who are usually much older i.e. 50 plus. It's a vicious cycle, SLTs don't want teachers who are returning, and returners can't get out of being returners.

And the suggestion to work for nothing to get an up to date reference, doesn't appeal to them.

@Pomza, I am sure if you contacted the Return to Teachers Programme they would happily advertise any vacancies you currently have that are Secondary Maths, Physics, Science and MFL to all their returners. Unfortunately, there isn't an easy means to advertise for vacancies outside of these subjects for these returners but I am sure, if you put down on your website, returners are most welcome to apply, you could increase returners' participation.

A lot of returners are primary, non Ebac teachers who are currently retraining, so if you are in primary or looking for a non Ebac teacher, you could still ask.

All I see on ads are NQTs and experienced teachers are welcome. Never NQTs, Returners and expereinced teachers welcome. I wonder why that is?

Loads and loads of much older, experienced qualified teachers out there, but as for teachers under 35 definitely a lot more trouble to find.

19. catbefriender

And to add to this, currently the over 50s represent 1/4 of the UK workforce and it is predicted that by 2020, we will represent a third of the UK workforce. The DWP are working really hard to get employers to adapt to the needs of an aging UK workforce.There has been some initiatives with the DWP and DoE with regard to getting schools on board with the recruitment of over 50s, but all attempts have been unfruitful.

Unfortunately it is difficult to find the statistics for what percentage/fraction the over 50s are in terms of qualified teachers looking for work but it is well documented that they are the largest group in the NTCL return to teacher programme. I would reckon it could be over 50 per cent!

Schools continually rejecting applications from older teachers who can not get back into work, results in older teachers not sending in applications and seeking and securing employment elsewhere.

Currently the over 50s represent the highest number of people claiming Jobseekers Allowance hence the 'offers' from schools of unpaid work for teachers over 50 in return for an up to date reference, doesn't work.

Mrsmumbles likes this.
  20. hs9981

hs9981 Established commenter

Certain 'inbred' parts of the UK, it's a minefield with students!