1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

head of year

Discussion in 'Senior Leadership Team' started by dandus, Mar 29, 2007.

1. cheesypop

cheesypop Senior commenter

hi, sorry not replied sooner.

they asked me which part of the every child matters agenda i thought was most important, and why. i think they were just checking i knew what the parts were!

drugs was what would you do if a pupil told you they had seen another pupil with 'white tablets' in their bag.

child protection was what would you do if a pupil said a member of staff had behaved inappropriately towards them.

good luck!

2. Thanks cheesypop.

Good, tough questions! I suppose they are there to differentiate between candidates.

Regards!

3. cheesypop

cheesypop Senior commenter

they didn't seem to expect me to know everything, for example with the drugs one i said i didn't know their drug policy and they were ok with that (it was an external interview, internal i suppose it would be a good idea to find out!) but also don't be afraid to state the obvious - after saying i would search the pupils bag (with another member of staff present) and call parents in i realised i'd forgotten to say that i'd take the tablet off them, because it just seemed so obvious!

also, in another couple of questions it was clear that the issue they were referring to would be something you should take straight to SMT - don't be afraid to say that either (the member of staff behaving inappropriately towards a pupil was one).

4. Hiya; alot of the questions asked are to do with pupil tracking, behaviour, attendance. As a suggestion, it may be worth looking at what data external bodies such as OFSTED require. May be worth speaking to a local EWO if you know one as they have a wealth of knowledge with regards to what data is required. If you know the standards required by these bodies at least you can then work on how you would manage pupil data, analyse, monitor and improve...DFES website is also a very good reference guide. If OFSTED visited the school you will be expected know your students within your years performance aswell as the overall performance of the school (amongst may other things!) Not sure this will help; hope it does a little