1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

head of year

Discussion in 'Senior Leadership Team' started by dandus, Mar 29, 2007.

1. I have an interview for the post of HOY. I did one interview but was not successful. The feedback was very poor as it seemed to me they did it to cover thier backs as they had a prefered internal candidate. I was the only external candidate. Now the questions they said i performed poorly were
    1. how do you deal with unexpected angry parent
    2. How do you deal with a student who is finding it hard to settle in
    3. How do you intend to lead your team
    Any model answers are welcome please help

2. I have an interview for the post of HOY. I did one interview but was not successful. The feedback was very poor as it seemed to me they did it to cover thier backs as they had a prefered internal candidate. I was the only external candidate. Now the questions they said i performed poorly were
    1. how do you deal with unexpected angry parent
    2. How do you deal with a student who is finding it hard to settle in
    Any model answers are welcome please help

3. Dandus, would you be kind enough to list the other questions they asked, as I have one coming up too.

I know this does not help you much, but I would appreciate it.

Thanks.

4. Hi private teacher,
    the rest of the questions were:
    How would you deal with a failing tutor?
    How would you deal with a child who is being abused?
    Tell us about your skills?
    Tell us your experience with external agencies
    please let me know what you think about thse questions
    and good luck

5. Just a few ideas...good luck!

1. angry parent .. remain calm, let them know this is important to you and you really want a resolve it, find a private room, nod, listen, nod, listen calmly, let them talk until they begin to calm down, listen nod, listen, nod.., ask them what they would like you to do, tell them steps you can take eg speak to their child and any others involved, ie communication with all, monitor, report back, and stick to your action plan.DO NOT break your promise. If you said you will call them back do so. Try to use an example of a situation to help eg parent angry about a member of staff...and remember you must let them know that certain issues will be refered to SMT eg staff. It is important that you are stong enough to say "I am not prepared to continue if you continue swearing etc etc", and have another member of staff in with you

2. a student who is finding it hard to settle in
    Communication (biggy) with all.pupil(1st)..get to the root, Advice from/ build a picture talking to SENco, tutor, parents, previous school. Develop action plan ..not necessarily written and share this, monitor & revise. Outside agencies ay be necessary if the prob continues...EWO, ed psyc, social services etc..

Lead by example ie working hard, sharing your skills, get your team on your side which means doing them favours when you can, encouraging others to share theirs, being organised, sticking to promises, . Once you have respect then your ideas (and have a few of these ready b4 interview) for improvement (eg revamping resources for PSE) can be introduced

6. Thanks Luki1. This will definately help as it is in line with what i had prepared. Do you have any other ideasi could use?

7. Rather than giving you chapter and verse I would say think about how you deal with people on a daily basis. How would you speak to your colleagues, develop relationship with them, help them when they are struggling, support them when they are finding it tough. How do you deal with a really stroppy kid now? Will it really be much different when you are dealing with other staff members miscreants as well as your own? It wasn't with me!

As you think about these things it will give you an insight into your own leadership style which is far more use than a model answer and will last you long into your job because when it really gets tough you can remind yourself what really matters to you!

8. Some interview questions i had included:

What qualities do I feel I have to do the job?
    How would I establish sense of presence with my year group and make my position/expectations clear?
    BIG ONE -How would I monitor pupil progress? (e.g. checking data base, communication with team members, reports, parent's eve, behaviour report cards, talking to HOD's, tel. calls to parents, EWO)
    How would I make good use of our pastoral assistant?
    How would I make good use of attendance officer?
    How would I deal with pupils making lack of progress?
    How would I deal with poor behaviour?
    How would I ensure tutor time is structured and useful?
    What team building events would I introduce?
    What would I do if child suspected of abuse?
    How would I deal with a resistant member of staff?
    How would I ensure that good pupils rewarded?
    How would I target bullying issues in the school?
    How/when would I incorporate Sex Ed in Citizenship(bearing in mind my whole school responsibility is for Health) -check what your whole school responsibility is!

Tasks given proior to verbal interview

A had to reply to letter of complaint from parent about activities in Citizenship
    A report to read and HOY comment to write at the end
    A list of tasks that I had to put in order of prioritisation

Don't forget to look at your Ofsted report to see what they identified as weaknesses (if any) in pastoral system -this is likely to be a focus for the school.

Don't be afraid to say "sorry I don't know yet, but I am good at seeking advice and very willing to learn"!
    Hope this helps - Good luck. Let me know how you do.

9. Hey luki1

How many questions on average are generally asked at interview. I am assuming that the ones you have supplied are different ones at different interviews?

How did you answer some of these new ones? I know I am asking a lot from you, but like dandus, I want to be prepared. I will still aim to talk passionately at interview, even though some questions get generic answers!

Regards!

10. cheesypop

cheesypop Occasional commenter

i've just done a couple of these, got a job last week. questions i was asked included...
    - pupils progress ones. v. imp now cos of TLR. using data, tracking progress, what intervention would you put in place, etc
    - child protection
    - drugs
    - every child matters
    - what would you do if SMT wanted to adopt a policy and you didn't like it
    - what is your leadership style
    - in 1 term what will the kids/ staff be saying about you
    - role of form tutor

i had to do management task with data, teach each time (pshce rather than subject to make it fair), informal and formal interviews.

one thing i would say is be enthusiastic. i got the job as an external candidate from mainscale and i know i was more enthusiastic than the other person who has more experience. a lot of schools are prepared to show you the ropes if you show this is what you want and that you have the potential to be good at it, especially with a job like HOY which relies much more on how you are with people. also, make sure your referees are clear about what you are going for and tailor your reference this way.

good luck!

11. cheesypop, great name!

Would you mind elaborating on the questions i.e. What were the questions they asked?

I am aware of Every Child Matters but unsure how they will phrase this as a question! etc. and how did you answer them.

Drugs, I hope you declined lol.

Thanks for your time, it is very much appreciated.

Regards!

12. my ECM was part of a task - to do a focus group with year 7 on how well the school fits in with ECM...it was fun!!

13. Interesting. However, the HOY position is for internal candidates only and will only be interview based, thankfully.

Regards!

14. Oops! missed this out pretty.shoes1

What did you do as part of the focus group. I bet the year 7 pupils were enthusiastic about it.

15. i broke each of the 5 parts down into questions and they then decided if the school did each part and at the end decided what the school did best and what they needed to improve. They also discussed what should be done at home and how they knew certain things - like what to do in a fire etc...
    They enjoyed being special and having an opinion that was listened to for 45 mins

16. Sound like a cool way to do it.

Has the 'Every Child Matters' agenda got mentioned within the job description or in any part of the application pack?

I am at a private school, internal candidates only, and I am sure that 99% of the staff here will not be aware of ECM. Hoping it will give me an edge in interview.

Cruel I know, but I have to hope!

Regards!

katie2203 likes this.
  17. no it wasn't mentioned in an information pack and in the instructions it was referred to as ECM!!

18. Amazing how writing a letter of application and going through interview questions focus's ones mind. I feel more confident in my abilities and what I want to say at interview.

Thank you to those of you who have contributed to this thread!

Regards!

19. Good luck, it is a fab job and i love it!