1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Head of Year post

Discussion in 'Career clinic' started by MrBoJo, Jun 2, 2020.

1. MrBoJo

MrBoJo New commenter

A Head of Year position has become available at my school. I have more academic experience over pastoral, but it is something I’m becoming increasingly interested in. There is no prospect of progression within my dept, and I do not wish to move schools, so I’m considering applying for this HoY post.

The school has asked for an email to explain why I would like to apply for the job - am I right in thinking that this is ‘why I want it and why I’m a good fit for the role?’ type statement?

Also, any recommendations/links to reading material for the application and/or a realistic insight into the nature of the role will be greatly appreciated!

2. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

You need to write an application, and you need to write it as though you were applying at another school.

By that I mean don't think "Oh I needn't tell them that, they know what I do".

Yes, you do need to tell them everything!

Have they given a job description and person specification for the post? Sometimes they don't for internal posts. If they haven't, do a search on TES jobs to find a similar post that DOES have one and use that.

Go to TES Resources and download the free Executive Summary template I've put there. Fill it in with their requirements on the left and your offer on the right. It gives details in the blurb of the E.S. of where to look for more advice on filling in, and general application tips.

And your best tip is to ring the current postholder and ask what they see as essentials in the job, and any suggestions they have for you. Don't mention feeling unhappy with curriculum prospects, talk instead (both to HoY and in application and interview) about your passion for supporting all pupils to do better then they ever dared to hope they would!

Best of luck

3. MrBoJo

MrBoJo New commenter

Thank you so much. I’ve requested a job description (if there is one) and it will be sent to me tomorrow.
    I’ll check out the resources you suggested too.
    I was wondering about contacting the current post holder but was very worried about how polite that was to do! If it’s acceptable though, I’m sure they’d have very valuable advice.

4. minnie me

minnie me Star commenter

Yes and also consider if you want to be a traditional Floating Head of Death or a more progressive Year Leader willing to devolve more responsibly to your team of tutors - not mutually exclusive I hasten to add . The answer to this may well depend on your setting wanting to retain the status quo or considering an alternative take on the post.

5. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Absolutely no problem!

You're not asking them to write your application, just asking about what the job entails, etc.

Good luck

6. ABCDETeacher

ABCDETeacher New commenter

I'd also add that lots of your academic experience will be directly relevant. More and more Head of Year posts are focusing on tracking progress as oppose to just the traditional pastoral aspects of the role. So if you've got experience of analysis a cohort's data, that's relevant - you can identify an under achiever, look at the barriers preventing their attainment (behaviour, attendance, SEN etc) and work with them to fix it. As for curriculum planning, do you have to plan tutor time activities in this role? If you do, there's more transferable experience too!

Academic and pastoral definitely aren't mutually exclusive, so make sure to sell your existing experience as best as you can. Oh and Good Luck!

brina88 likes this.