1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Head of Year job

Discussion in 'Senior Leadership Team' started by BuryFCA1, May 16, 2011.

1. BuryFCA1

BuryFCA1 New commenter

Considering going for a Head of Year job. What things should I be looking to talk about and avoid in an interview and what things might I expect to be asked?

2. Good luck...a good job but each day is never the same!
    1. Use of data to drive standards
    2. pastoral responsibilty for a yeargroup - dealing with all the issues that brings - bullying, mentoring, working with outside agencies, supporting those at risk of failure/social problems, sorting out friendship issues and generally being there for them all!
    3. Attendance and the impact of poor attendance on achievement
    4. Supporting HODs and issues in their areas
    5. Liaising with SLT
    6. Assemblies
    7. Successfully leading and managing a team of tutors, especially in terms of mentoring and tutor time activities (possibly PSE delivery)
    8. Ideas for enrichment
    You may be asked many questions in interview that cover all/most/more than the ones above and they may get you to do an intray exercise - I was! I had to sort out a range of pieces of information that was in "my pigeon hole" and decide what was the most important/urgent etc.
    All the best
    CB

3. weezadance1

weezadance1 New commenter

<font size="4">Is it for a specific year group or a generic post (i.e. to be decided later)?</font><font size="4">For example: If Head of Year 7, you may be asked about transition;</font><font size="4">Head of Year 8, the year 8 dip;</font><font size="4">Head of Year 9, options;</font><font size="4">Head of 10, transition to KS4, new GCSEs etc; </font><font size="4">Head of Year 11, keeping them going.</font><font size="4"> </font><font size="4">I was also asked about PSHCEE, assemblies, Focus Days, enrichment activities. Plus I, too, was given an In-tray exercise about prioritising my day and I had to lead discussions on how to 'approach' a situation (a scenario where a parent makes a complaint about another teacher - what would you do).</font><font size="4">It's a great job, always interesting, no 2 days the same and a fantastic experience. Good luck</font>

4. BuryFCA1

BuryFCA1 New commenter

Thanks to claude and weeze for your advice. It is for year 8 to cover a mat leave. I have been at the school for a number of years now and feel stale. Either I go for the job or I look to move on to another school. If I dont get it then I move on next year.

5. The general advice above is good, but the job specifics vary from school to school, too. Why don't you sound out one of the current HoY's at your schoo? Pick someone positive, though - it's a rewarding job, but there can be an element of 'firefighting', and, if you're not careful it can overwhelm you, and make you feel as if that's all that you do. I did the job for 7 years and loved it, and am now responsible for overseeing the pastoral team in my current school. When recruiting a year head, I look for people who will do things and actually want to improve things for the kids - in academic terms but also in the holistic experience of school too. Done wrong, or in the wrong place, this can be one of the toughest jobs in the school. Done right, and with the right leadership, ethos and philosophy around you, it's one of the best jobs.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do.