1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Head of Year interview

Discussion in 'Secondary' started by mbarraclough, Nov 19, 2015.

1. mbarraclough

mbarraclough New commenter

On Monday I have a Head of Year interview on a maternity cover basis. I started working at the school only this September, however I have been teaching elsewhere for 6 years prior to this and I have middle management experience from being a HoD on a maternity basis.

I feel that I am fine with the general questions, but what I am struggling with is the 10 minute presentation that I am also expected to provide:

"The interview will involve you doing a 10 minute presentation on:

Middle Leadership and Management:
    What I would ‘lead’ as Head of Year
    What I would ‘manage’ as Head of Year

Please plan your presentation and be aware that after 10 minutes you will be asked to stop.
    The presentation should be in the form of a PowerPoint."

I am struggling to think of ideas to differentiate the two successfully at this moment in time without being quite vague and talking about the usual things. Does anyone have any ideas or individual interpretations as to how they might approach such a task?

Thanks!

2. Weald56

Weald56 Established commenter

Just a thought (off the top of my head):

What I would ‘lead’ as Head of Year - medium & long term projects, PSHE programme of study, year assemblies etc.

What I would ‘manage’ as Head of Year - the year 'team'; day to day issues such as supporting behaviour policy, absences, contacting parents etc.; the Year Group's contribution to whole school events (such as Prize Givings); data collection for your Year.

I'm sure that this isn't comprehensive, but hope it helps...

3. Piranha

Piranha Star commenter

Do you really need to differentiate? If you include all you intend to bring to the role, then that should suffice. The ideas kent1 suggests make sense, but you need to think about the needs of the year group in your school, so you may have particular ideas of what the priorities are. Someone fairly new to the school may spot things that others miss.

How sad that you have to use a PowerPoint. Surely a teacher should be expected to present in the way that suits them and their presentation best, which may or may not include a PowerPoint.

kent1 likes this.
  4. john_hollinder

john_hollinder New commenter

Well lead probably means leading the pupils and the year group whereas manage probably means managing the form tutors of the year which your applying for. Just out of curiosity what year group are you hoping to be head of year of?

5. mbarraclough

mbarraclough New commenter

Thanks for the replies so far, very helpful. The year group is 8. One plus for me I suppose is that I currently have a year 8 form and I teach 6 out of the 8 forms so I know the cohort quite well.

6. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

Doesn't lead generally mean the inspire and motivate and support and all the unmeasurable bits.
    And manage means organise duties, keep track of paperwork, sort out supply cover and so on.

7. john_hollinder

john_hollinder New commenter

You should show on your presentation what the pupils think of you. As you said you have a year 8 form and you teach most of year 8 so you have lots of pupils you could ask.