1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Head of Year interview question - EAL at boarding school

Discussion in 'Independent' started by meare, Jan 11, 2011.

1. <font size="2">I am applying for a head of year position in a large independent day/boarding school where we get a large number of boys from overseas, making the boarding houses full of overseas boys. The boys all do similar subjects as a result their English doesn&rsquo;t improve much throughout their time at the school. I have been told they will ask about how I would improve this situation at interview. We currently have 2 EAL teachers but we need to think of a way to get the overseas boys to mix more with the day pupils. Any thoughts on how this could be achieved?</font>

2. <font size="2">I am applying for a head of year position in a large independent day/boarding school where we get a large number of boys from overseas, making the boarding houses full of overseas boys. The boys all do similar subjects as a result their English doesn&rsquo;t improve much throughout their time at the school. I have been told they will ask about how I would improve this situation at interview. We currently have 2 EAL teachers but we need to think of a way to get the overseas boys to mix more with the day pupils. Any thoughts on how this could be achieved?</font>

3. I've found it best to divide the pupils if they sit together - force them to work outside their comfort zone - not every time, but every now and then.
    Making presentations in English about their own towns to the house/form may also bring confidence.
    Lots of encouragement, and get the subject tutors involved. You can't do it on your own!

4. Lunch time and after school clubs are also a way of helping both EAL and English pupils integrate.

Team sports - cricket, hockey, basketball...

I am guessing are Maths and Science are the similar subjects?

If you have any pupils who are 2nd / 3rd generation at the school, you may find that they would/could be afforded the opportunity to learn their families home language. It may have been "diluted" through the generations!

At every opportunity encourage the EAL to speak in English as this will aid their written work.

Hope these suggestions help.

Best wishes.

5. I would think that they would be encouraged to mix and interact more at clubs and societies. Do any of the EAL boys play sports that are popular in their own countries that are more unusual here? Could you set up some clubs for those sports?