1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Head of Year interview help needed

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by waltonsl, Jul 15, 2012.

1. HI
    I have a interview for above post, I need to do a 5 minute presentation on 'how you would create an ethos of 'celebration of achievement in a year group, A correspondance task, then a student led panel interview. This is a step up for me, I have worked in a secondary school for 5 years as a cover supervisor but have always taken an interest in the pastoral side of the school.
    Please any tips would be most helpful.

Regards

2. HI
    I have a interview for above post, I need to do a 5 minute presentation on 'how you would create an ethos of 'celebration of achievement in a year group, A correspondance task, then a student led panel interview. This is a step up for me, I have worked in a secondary school for 5 years as a cover supervisor but have always taken an interest in the pastoral side of the school.
    Please any tips would be most helpful.

Regards

3. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

You say you've worked as a cover supervisor for 5 years - does that mean you are not a teacher?
    The presentation is for you to show that you can run assemblies - you must have seen many of these during your time in the school - pick out the best ideas you saw and then add your own.
    The correspondence task is likely to be letters from parents, etc that you will need to show you are able to answer appropriately, demonstrating that as well as being able to write good, well structured and accurately written English, you know how to deal with parents' queries, complaints and other issues. There may also be correspondence related to external agencies and again, you must show that you know how to deal with issues such as looked-after children, children with special needs, etc.
    The student-led panel is where you show that whilst you can relate to and engage children to talk to you (remember - you may be the first person to whom they decide to disclose abuse or other personal problems - are you confident that you would know how to deal with these? You're likely to be asked about such issues during a formal interview - I note you don't mention that there is one, but surely there must be?).
    As I cannot believe there won't be a full, formal interview with the head plus governors (or other senion staff), you must be able to tell them how you would deal with serious incidents, crises, disciplinary matters - including how you would support teachers who are having difficulty with specific children, groups or classes - and, crucially, they will expect you to answer 100% precisely on matters of safeguarding.

4. Many thanks for your prompt repy middlemarch, yes I'm not a teacher, but have fingers in many pies around school, Yes there is an interview panel with the current Pastoral team and if you get through that then another panel with members of the governing body.
    Just another question, surely if a parent has query/complaint would you not ring and speak to them, saves paper and resolved quicker. I really want the job and have the enthusiasm and long term committment needed just need to convince the panel.
    fingers crossed

5. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

Often, yes - but the exercise I think you'll be given is on paper and will require that you state what your response would be, what action you would take and why. You need, also, to consider which complaints, issues etc you would choose to put a response in writing - and which you would need to pass on to someone else...

6. catbefriender

catbefriender Lead commenter

Good luck with the interview.

7. If you are not a teacher, why are you allowed to apply for this role?
    This is not a job for a cover supervisor.

8. emmadrg

emmadrg New commenter

Josh, in many schools the heads of year are not teaching staff but TAs or HLTAs, or just someone's mum from the local town.
    Having worked in schools with teaching and non-teaching heads of year I know which one works best, in my eyes. Non-teaching heads of year have no idea what the demands of teaching are, and we get pretty annoyed if we call you for support when one of your year group is playing merry hell in our lessons, only to be told "I was in a meeting all lunchtime, I'm having my lunch now, you'll have to sort them out yourself". A teacher wouldn't do that.
    Then again, if the OP has been a CS for a while then they should have an idea what it is like to be in the classroom dealing with problem behaviour.
    Head of year is a position that carries a lot of responsibility but unfortunately I know of two schools near me that only pay the lower end of the CS rate for it (about £13k a year). It's a position that is worth a hell of a lot more than that. I worked in a school where the heads of year were on the second top TLR allowance (about £10k a year).