1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Head of Year Ideas

Discussion in 'Welcome lounge and forum help' started by the guyster, Feb 3, 2016.

1. the guyster

the guyster New commenter

As an Assistant Head of Year, I am keen to try an boost our current year group's ( Year 10 ) profile/progress/everything as sadly we have a rotten reputation within the school. Behaviour within a large group is poor and this has a dramatic impact on others. Pupil and staff perception is that nothing ever gets done with these kids and that the hard working and talented amongst the group are over looked and ignored. We have a year team that consists of a number of experienced staff and HOD's but increasingly they are becoming more negative with the year group, their forms and ultimately it is very difficult to get them to positively engage. They always find fault, don't offer solutions and I am left felling exhausted in trying to motivate not just a year group but a staff room. We have a lot of strategies in place regarding praise and reward but pupils and staff don't buy into. Pupils think they are too cool for E Praise points and staff resent the time it takes to log on and log points. As a year leaders, my boss and I have increasing pressure from SLT to "intervene" with pupil progress and find the magic wand to turn the group around. We work hard as HOY's, staff have faith in us and we have a strong presence in the year group but any ideas to help turn the tide and help make it flow in a positive direction would be helpful.

2. marlin

marlin Star commenter

3. minnie me

minnie me Star commenter

I know this is stating the obvious but I am assuming that the (now ) Y10 has been problematic from Y7 so surely radical and early intervention should have been prioritised to attempt to stall the deterioration ? Sorry this is no help. There was a thread not so long ago ( Secondary ? ) where a fellow colleague was struggling with a Y7 and needed fresh impetus / ideas. Some responses there which may help ?