1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Head of Year - hours?

Discussion in 'Heads of department' started by Nimstar, Feb 15, 2019.

1. Nimstar

Nimstar New commenter

Any Heads of Year (or Heads of House) here? (is there a better thread for this post?)

What timetable allowance are you given to fulfill your TLR role?

2. Caymem

Caymem New commenter

6 hours a week is what I get so will be spending lots of time afterschool working

3. meggyd

meggyd Senior commenter

Seriously ? 6 hours seems a lot.

4. rehaank

rehaank Occasional commenter

I was given 5 hours per week as HOD, which then went to 11 'free' periods as Deputy Head of which 1 was dedicated to sixth form assembly (every 2 weeks), and 3 'on call' periods, so 7 actual free periods.

But then I did have to run after school A level physics revision sessions for about 1 hour and 30 mins every Friday evening :) :) :)

5. thecagedbird

thecagedbird New commenter

38 periods of teaching over two weeks rather than 44.

4 tlr periods and 2 “on call”.

6. Corvuscorax

Corvuscorax Senior commenter

doesn't everybody have to run after school revision every week what ever your job title?

7. Corvuscorax

Corvuscorax Senior commenter

what size school? what size year? how many children in the house? it depends on many things

8. Caymem

Caymem New commenter

Our school does 6 periods a day which is 30 periods a week but we have a two week timetable which means out of the 60 periods every two weeks I tach 50/60, as just realised I only have 5 free periods a week and not 6.

9. meggyd

meggyd Senior commenter

So that is your ppa plus your extra tlr time.

10. Caymem

Caymem New commenter

Yes it is my PPA and TLR time.

11. rehaank

Not when you're the deputy head I would have thought...

I didn't mind it, but it's difficult with already confused 17 and 18 year olds becoming even more perplexed and defeated in a subject they (the underachieving) regretted picking.

No but seriously I enjoyed it, but it was the extra support drop-in class that ran on Friday for Physics and I was the only staff there 90% of the times.

12. Caymem

Caymem New commenter

what subject are you deputy or head off please and what do u like about your job the most. i like being able to help making the timetable most of the time.

13. rehaank

I was (one of two) deputy heads at my old school/sixth form and the Head of Science, and before that I was the assistant head leading wholeschool teaching & learning, and behaviour. As deputy I was primarily in charge of the sixth form.

I'm now starting a new school/sixth form in sept as the 'lead' deputy head having overall responsibility of the other deputy heads and across the wholeschool I am still teaching Science and Maths at A Level.

At my old job I enjoyed my role in developing and leading teaching and learning, researching and trailing new teaching methodology into classrooms to ensure high levels of progress and academia. I am looking forward to my new role at a more challenging school

How about you?

14. Mr_G_ICT

Mr_G_ICT New commenter

i'm on 5 hours for HoD time....but that also includes learning moderation time, marking moderations, line management meetings etc.

one lesson a week is in isolation too.

15. TheChronicler

TheChronicler New commenter

Head of Year at a standard sized secondary:

12 hours/fortnight (6 PPA and 6 TLR), with a weekly break time duty and lunchtime detention duty. One after school detention duty per year plus a few extra (calendared) after school meetings

16. tb9605

tb9605 Established commenter

HoD at a Overseas Secondary. I have 7 frees out of a possible 30 per week. However, one is technically "unallocated" - currently using it for some GCSE resit classes, but once the exam is past I may get stuck with something.... or I might get away with it!