1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Head of year application letter - please help

Discussion in 'Secondary' started by keava, Mar 6, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ilovesooty

ilovesooty Star commenter

<bangs head on table>

2. Karvol

Karvol Occasional commenter

That table is pretty bashed in by now.

3. 576

576 Established commenter

Okay sometimes it's useful to get a little help. I find it dreadfully difficult to sell myself and in the past have been assisted by head of dept / assistant head / head with various applications. They have looked at my application and from their knowledge of me and my experiences have said - well you haven't included this, or it would read better if you phrased this like this.
    It is really worrying if there is not a head of year or other member of SLT in your school who you feel you can approach and say - I'm applying for this HoY position, I've drafted a letter of application but would really like someone with greater knowledge of the role to look it over for me.
    The key difference between this and some random stranger on the internet is that
    a) you know that they really are who they say they are and you know which job they do and how well
    b) they know you - your strengths and weaknesses, experiences, they can identify where you are underselling yourself and help you to correct it.

khurley707 likes this.
  4. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

Yes - the advice 576 gives is pertinent and appropriate. It's fine to ask someone who knows you and your work to look at your application and offer constructive criticism.

It is NOT fine, as several people have said over the years that this thread has existed, to ask for a copy of another person's application. You can protest that you won't plagiarise it, you "just want to now if I'm on the right lines, etc" as much as you like, but none of you who have asked for a copy of a complete stranger's application are telling the truth.

The truth, colleagues, is that most schools deploy software to identify plagiarism these days and if you do it, your application will go in the bin. This applies to any daft softies who share their own applications, who might just find their own applications binned because they shared.

5. Piranha

Piranha Star commenter

If you really don't know enough about the job to start your application, then you are not ready for it. Job application letters are very simple:
    1. What do you think are the priorities for the job; what would you do if appointed?
    2. Why do you want the job and what skills/experience do you have that make you right for the job?
    Over-simplified, perhaps, but that is roughly what I would do for any job.
    There is no point in copying somebody else's stuff; it would not be right for you and would probably come out at interview.

6. Piranha

Piranha Star commenter

The thing that the "me too" posters ignore is that it would be highly unfair if they got a job based on somebody else's letter. When I am applying, I spend hours drafting and redrafting my application. Why should somebody either too lazy or too ignorant to write their own get the job ahead of those who do their own work?

7. Karvol

Karvol Occasional commenter

09/03/2008
    The date that the original post mentioning the letter was written.
    5 years ago.
    And people are still asking for a copy of it.

8. Piranha

Piranha Star commenter

It is still probably better than the people who ask for it could write!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.