1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Head of year application letter - please help

Discussion in 'Secondary' started by keava, Mar 6, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hi
    Please can you help.
    Im trying to write an application letter for a temporary head of year job.
    Can anyone give me some pointers or examples?
    Many thansk
    k

2. Look for some of TheoGriff's posts on writing applications.

When I write an application I write down what I think the challenges of the job are, and what I would do about them. Then write about my experience, then write about my skills.

3. hi
    Im a head of year now, im reading this from home if you pass me your email I could send you a copy of my letter which is at school, might help, but will depend on the school
    [This comment/image/section has been removed for breaching our Community Guidelines/Terms and conditions]
    alison

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 25, 2016
  4. Hi alison,

Would it be possible for me to have a look at your letter too?

I've just been approached about applying for the head of year position at my school and I've never had to do anything like this before...don't know where to begin!!!

Many thanks!!

5. me too if you don't mind. [This comment/image/section has been removed for breaching our Community Guidelines/Terms and conditions]
    I have absolutely no experience of this role, but I know there's a post coming up very soon and am keen to apply so any help is very much appreciated. Thanks.

6. salsera

salsera New commenter

Don't want to seem rude but if you have no experience of this role how can you apply....something has got to come from you and you have to have some idea of what is involved.

7. pete14

pete14 New commenter

If you cannot write a simple letter of application for a job, what makes you think you can do said job?

8. I don't have experience having never done the role before but I have researched what the role might entail - it seems to vary depending on the school though e.g. teaching and learning vs pastoral. Also, I have been involved in many small roles on a voluntary basis over the last two years that will, I believe, serve me well in such a role. It is difficult to gain full experience without a given role. I would not be so naive or arrogant to apply for a role I knew nothing about at all - just keen to see a letter of application to help when applying - I've obviously given the impression that I'm randomly applying for any job going! Not the case.

9. salsera

salsera New commenter

No problem! It did seem that way. Researching the role is a good way to make points in your application.
    Good luck

10. Hi
    Would really appreciate it if you could forward me a copy of your letter 0 it would be a great help. Also if you remember any of the questions asked in the interview would be a great help - thank you!

11. Karvol

Karvol Occasional commenter

For god's sake!

If you cannot write your own letter or use your experience to figure out the answer to any question in an interview you are not ready for the position.
    Two letters that look and read the same will both end up in the bin together.
    You are just wasting your time going down this route. Writing a letter, while not easy, is still reasonably straight forward.
    Research the school, read its Ofsted report, look at its website, pay it a visit. Read between the lines and look at what the school is failing to mention and see what its long term and short term plans are. Then address these in your letter.
    Good luck.

12. HI
    Could you please post me a copy of your HOY application letter. I would be most grateful as I am applying for a post next week.
    [This comment/image/section has been removed for breaching our Community Guidelines/Terms and conditions]

13. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

Did you not read the post before yours?
    And by the way - if that's your real name you've given away in your email, you've just told anyone in your school - especially the head (lots of us use TES) - that you're planning to plagiarise someone else's letter as you can't write your own.

14. b15b2y

b15b2y New commenter

If there were any possibility of also being able to see a copy of the letter I would be most appreciative. I have also completed my own which I would be hugely appreciative of anyone proof reading.
    My e-mail address is:b15b2y@hotmail.com
    For those so quick to condemn, I have no intention of copying, but it is silly to pretend that people who have applied for jobs or have been interviewed cant pass on experiences or advice.
    Many thanks.
    Lou.

15. Middlemarch

Looking at someone else's letter is not in the same league as 'giving advice' - if you asked 'Would someone have a look at my letter and offer constructive criticims' it would be entirely different.
    'Let me see your letter before I write mine' is actually saying 'I want a promotion but I can't even write my own letter of application for it' - it doesn't say a great deal about how well you'd cope with the bureaucracy involved in the job, does it?

16. b15b2y

b15b2y New commenter

''if you asked 'Would someone have a look at my letter and offer constructive criticims' it would be entirely different.''

Please proof read-this is what I stated.

17. Middlemarch

Indeed you did - my apologies. Seriously - stick to your own work.

18. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Look folks, there is a really, really good reason for not asking to see someone's letter. And for not showing yours to anyone else.
    Ever heard of this?
    http://www.ucas.com/students/applying/howtoapply/personalstatement/similaritydetection
    It's the software used by UCAS to detect plagiarism in applicants' personal statements. Read the article - it makes good reading.
    Some Local Authorities are now using similar software to detect plagiarism (or, close inspiration as some call it) in job applications. And give Heads instructions to reject all such applications.
    There is also, of course, another minor reason. If you cannot actually write an application, can you actually do the job? But only a minor point after all.
    Cheers!
    I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Workshops. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really appreciate.
    General advice on job seeking is available in the JobSeekersForum - read the clickables inside the Welcome Thread.

19. Hi Alison,
    Im trying to apply now twice I have fail but know im capable im also a counsellor which is great for parents and students to diagnose the probleme. I have been in teaching for 15 years now and im ready to be a head of years.
    Could you please send me your letter of head of year application that would help me lots. You are very kind and i THank you.
    My email address is [This comment/image/section has been removed for breaching our Community Guidelines/Terms and conditions]
    Yours sincerely
    Nadia

20. Hi Alison,
    Im trying to apply now twice I have fail but know im capable im also a counsellor which is great for parents and students to diagnose the probleme. I have been in teaching for 15 years now and im ready to be a head of years.
    Could you please send me your letter of head of year application that would help me lots. You are very kind and i THank you.
    My email address is[This comment/image/section has been removed for breaching our Community Guidelines/Terms and conditions]
    Yours sincerely
    Nadia.....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.