1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Head of Year and being a mum?!

Discussion in 'Career clinic' started by natlovesshoes, May 27, 2020.

1. natlovesshoes

natlovesshoes New commenter

Good morning,
    I have an interview for a HOY position and now I’m sat here thinking: crumbs, how the heck am I going to do it being a mum to an 18 month old?

My question is: am I being realistic?
    Any parents out there have any tips? Suggestions? How do you manage both?

TIA

2. minnie me

minnie me Star commenter

You can have a career and be a parent. If your interview is internal you need to think about how it will look if you withdraw now. One of the things they will be looking for no doubt in a prospective candidate is resilience.

3. natlovesshoes

natlovesshoes New commenter

Hello. Thanks for your reply. I don’t want to withdraw, I’ve wanted to be part of pastoral since I’ve been in education. I’m just other thinking the balance between school and home and being there for my daughter.

4. minnie me

minnie me Star commenter

Well good luck with the interview. Good practice whatever the eventuality. It’s an opportunity to make a difference I know BUT perhaps it may not be your time ( is there ever a good time !? ) and fate will determine otherwise ? Let us know how you go...

5. cheesypop

cheesypop Senior commenter

I got a HoY position when my daughter was 3. It’s no less doable than any job in a school.
    You don’t say if you are a teacher as well. The HoY job, a lot of it has to happen in the school day, reacting to incidents, or just after (parents like to get bad news before they’ve let Jonny go round to his mates for a 6 hour X-box marathon). If you are a teacher that means you can forget getting anything other than actual teaching done during the day (and even then you will need to be super organised because things won’t conveniently happen in your free periods. Many a time I was given cover at the 11th hour because I had to sort something, so every lesson had to be oven ready).
    So. Expect to work at home, whether that’s marking and planning or year group data. But at least with a little one, you can do that when they’ve gone to bed. Other than that, like I said, it’s no worse for having a child than any other job in a school.