1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Head of Year 7 Ideas

Discussion in 'Secondary' started by spanna10, Jun 11, 2018.

1. spanna10

spanna10 New commenter

Hello,

I have covered maternity Head of Year, but from September I will have the new Y7 cohort. I am currently doing transition with our feeder primaries and preparing for their induction days. I was wondering if people had any ideas of winning over Y7 students? As a school we have a lot of boys who don't apply themselves (similar to many schools). Behaviour problems and later down the line poor achievement. I am looking for a whole school approach or idea that will engage them from the start. I don't want it to be too obvious and so would like others to take part and achieve. I guess I am wanting to catch the students being good, positive reinforcement. Sorry if I am waffling, just wondering if anyone had any experience or ideas that have worked for Y7.

Thanks

2. Vince_Ulam

Vince_Ulam Star commenter

So you want one approach or idea which will ace transition, which applies whole school and which is subtle yet especially engaging for boys.

I advise you to cross some things off your shopping list.

3. minnie me

minnie me Star commenter

I am a bit confused by your term’winning over ‘. To be honest anything you may try to appeal may have impact in the short term but unlikely to be ‘ sustainable ‘ . Isn’t it about the ‘what’s in it for me ? ‘scenario ? . Yes many settings have larger co horts of disaffected boys ... the best for which you can hope is that your curriculum model / delivery are fit for purpose, your rewards / sanctions ‘work ‘, you celebrate what the students CAN achieve ( hidden curriculum ) and those students who are struggling in any capacity are given relevant , adequate , targeted support / strategies ‘to know what to do when they don’t know what to do ‘ ( Learning to Learn - Claxton ) . There is no quick fix. Important I think to look at / analyse the demands of the cohort ( than generalise )and then address.

4. Vince_Ulam

Vince_Ulam Star commenter

Especially for boys.

5. varcolac

varcolac Occasional commenter

Surely a head of year would be a "setting-specific pastoral facilitation management enabler" or whatever nonsense Claxton wants to call us these days.

6. minnie me

minnie me Star commenter

I think the role is now open to interpretation ( Year Leader / Manager / Facilitator blah blah ) . I think a move away ftom the traditional ‘ floating head of death ‘ is to be commended. You want the best outcomes for the students in your charge - what’s in a name ? I mention Claxton only in that the L2L rationale maybe if use in encouraging / developing self management / discipline / team work / good communication skills and a capacity to work well with information- things valued by prospective employers .....

7. sarahlouxx

sarahlouxx New commenter

Children from my school go to two
    Different high schools due to a boardline catchment.

There is an enormous amount of difference between how they handle transition (one doing year 5/6 discos, sports days, visits by the head of year who learns their names and stuff about them before they go and one doing one move up day where they sit a test) and what they do when they get there (one encourages them to be themselves, offers skipping ropes etc, sets up weekly debates on engaging topics for year 7, dresses up for world book day etc and one get thrown in from day one and my loveliest girls I sent were given a detention in the first week for walking instead of running in the long distance run).

Guess which school the children report back to enjoying more?

I don’t think their are quick fixes. I think it’s drip drip drip.

8. minnie me

minnie me Star commenter

Yes I recall that when involved in transition / marketing the aim was to be so involved with the associate schools that we, as the Secondary, would be as a ‘ choice ‘ a foregone conclusion. It takes time, money staffing , creativity and commitment and things to run like clockwork ! I remember our cover guy once shouting that we ( sec staff ) were in danger of forgetting our own students given our investment in primaries - the latter knew that they could ‘call the tune ‘

9. spanna10

spanna10 New commenter

Hello all, we have a fantastic transition approach, I have visited all seven of our feeder primary schools. They then come up for two induction days. One is really good fun and one is a taster of lessons. I was just wondering if anyone had any great ideas they could share, that have worked. Thanks

10. meggyd

meggyd Senior commenter

Transition day needs to show kids what secondary school is like. I can't see anything wrong with taster lessons. How many kids have been in a lab before and who is to say that taster lessons can not be "fun?" However secondary school isn't just about fun and I see nothing wrong in giving them an insight into expectations.