1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice
  3. The Teacher Q&A will be closing soon.

If you have any information that you would like to keep or refer to in the future please can you copy and paste the information to a format suitable for you to save or take screen shots of the questions and responses you are interested in.

Don’t forget you can still use the rest of the forums on theTes Community to post questions and get the advice, help and support you require from your peers for all your teaching needs.

Dismiss Notice

Head of Primary salary in Thailand

Discussion in 'Teaching overseas' started by kated82, Feb 10, 2019.

1. kated82

kated82 New commenter

Hi there,
    I am currently looking to relocate with my family and am looking at Thailand and Malaysia. I have 2 interviews coming up for Head of Primary in Thailand and am wondering what to expect salary wise. I have looked at a lot of other posts about Thailand but none of them were for SLT. I have researched both schools and they both offer tuition for my children but wanted to know what else I should be looking for.
    Thanks

2. gulfgolf

gulfgolf Established commenter

It's going to run the gamut depending on which school. Smaller or lower quality might be on par with a teaching post back home, though your result would be better since cost of living is lower, no taxes, etc. The best of the best have superlative packages.

3. dumbbells66

dumbbells66 Lead commenter

Yeh, the best of the best arent going to take someone straight out of the UK to be head of primary with no international experience.
    I would suggest you are looking at a lower level school, but it should still be more than the UK

4. percy topliss

percy topliss Occasional commenter

Whilst this used to be true I have noticed that a couple of the bigger schools have recently appointed directly from the UK. Whilst this certainly helps them with the paperwork and "running a tight ship" angle these bods coming in from academies in the UK are not necessarily having a good influence on teacher moral. Going back to the original post, there are schools here that even I have never heard of after 20 odd years, paying less than 100K a month for a Head right up to some excellent ones where one could expect in excess of 200'000 Baht a month as Head of Primary. Almost all schools will offer education for teachers kids, up to a certain number. Any chance you could let us know, discreetly, which school?

Perce

5. kated82

kated82 New commenter

Thanks for advice. They are both quite established schools and having done some research before applying are in the top end of results, fees etc and have good reviews. I am just trying to weigh up what would be a good package. Are housing and annual flights home to be expected? Neither have given any indication of what will be included, they have just both advertised the salary as competitive.

6. percy topliss

percy topliss Occasional commenter

A lot of British schools tend to give bi annual flights but will include the whole family. whereas other offer yearly ones. One or two schools have housing on site but will pay a stipend should you choose to live elsewhere. Be wary of schools who quote your housing allowance as a part of the wage, sometimes this is a sign of a low paying school. You should also expect to get excellent medical cover, nothing is free here so you need to ensure that this is the case. There are a group of excellent schools here in Bangkok both British System and IB based but there is also a very long tail. Most schools will tell you that their pay is competitive but if you are spending a good deal of it on taxis to get to a campus 30 or 40 KM outside town that knocks it down somewhat.

Perce