1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Head of Pastoral \ Wellbeing upcoming interview

Discussion in 'Career clinic' started by DBE86, May 10, 2019.

1. Hi everyone, first time poster, long time lurker!

I have an interview this coming Thursday for Head of Pastoral \ Wellbeing at my primary school. Vague as it may sound, does anyone have any tips \ questions to expect? I am also hoping for any tips regarding a presentation; part of the process is to produce a 10 minute presentation to SLT and governors, which will then follow Q&As. I've never had to 'present' as such for a job before (normally the standard lesson observation and then interview). They want the presentation to set out my vision for how a standard child at my school would be in terms of their wellbeing and values of the school.

Any tips or advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

2. minnie me

minnie me Star commenter

Start with what you expect to see ( success / impact criteria ) as a result of your vision and work backwards. So important to know in advance what you feel are the non negotiables in terms of student well being and how this would manifest in class / around the campus. It may be worth reading / researching things around best climates / conditions for learning .... how children ‘flourish’ ..... mindsets and the rationale behind AFL where it’s ok to make a mistake. If you think that well being is linked to confidence and positivity for example be prepared to provide solid scenarios of how this can be evidenced. Must admit though a bit baffled by the term ‘ standard child ‘??

Re presentation - do not read from the slides, a graphic can do the job of 100 words, no whizzy stuff ( distracting) , pace yourself ( glass of water ) , keep to the time , eye contact, rehearse, rehearse, rehearse ..., you may want to produce a handout ? - better to distribute after you have finished ....

Last edited: May 10, 2019