1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Head of Maths with no 2ic - Team of 10

Discussion in 'Mathematics' started by September, Jun 18, 2011.

1. September

September New commenter

I will have no second in department next year, school cannot affort to pay for the TLR. Team members not willing to take on responsibilities. To do it all myself is not going to be easy. Need helpful suggestions.

2. September

September New commenter

I will have no second in department next year, school cannot affort to pay for the TLR. Team members not willing to take on responsibilities. To do it all myself is not going to be easy. Need helpful suggestions.

3. In a similar position. I think I deal with it by being realistic with my expectations, of others and of myself. I recognise that this is a holding position and won't last forever. Also there are areas that I can colleagues to do if they're on the UPS, such as contributing to the scheme of work.

4. September

September New commenter

I will look into that. There are two members of my team who are on UPS.

5. Whilst it wont cover everything you can use directed time for curriculum area meeings as time for all members to carry out tasks and distribute information via email instead of holding 1 and a half hour meetings where 15 hours of man/woman power are often 'lost'

6. googolplex

googolplex Occasional commenter

In my experience, there are always staff who want to take on extra responsibility for the purposes of career development. I've delegated stuff like KS2/3 transition, organisation of 121 tuition, textbook returns, gifted and talented coordination, attendance at local meetings, etc. So long as this sort of thing is packaged correctly, I'd be surprised if you didn't have some goodwill there somewhere.
    However, the school has put you in an awkward postion, and they must carry the can for that. You can only do what you have time to do. Prioritise, do few things well rather than try and do everything. If the "O"men do call for that dreaded subject inspection, you have a strong case for deflecting blame if they find anything amiss.

7. September

September New commenter

I like Betamale's suggestion of using meeting time to do tasks, however I do use the times to their fullest and use it for discussion and training but I will put in time for tasks. Googleplex, we have just had a good "O" but it is the subject inspection that I dread. No one wants to take on extra responsibilities unless they are paid for it, even though they know that it will be good for career development. Looks like I am going to have a busy summer holiday.

8. lancsHOD

lancsHOD New commenter

I don't envy you, I have no 2ic but work in a much smaller dept. I agree with everything above; prioritise and keep things manageable. Do the things you do well but sometimes don't worry about doing them to an excellent standard. I am working on delegating more things and I understand that it's hard if people don't want to take on extra work for no money. Some are also very aware of their rights (union regs......). Talk to the dept. about jobs need doing and see if anyone volunteers for particular interests.
    Now, I am not sure about this but do you have Y11 gain time and can you delegate departmental tasks in it? The other thing is what targets are set as part of Performance Management, my dept. usually have a dept. related target eg develop assessments for their Y7 class......
    Beware having too busy a summer, keep things manageable, don't wear yourself out, plan your time.
    I, too worry about the 'O' guys turning up to do a subject inspection!

9. September

September New commenter

I have used some of the Year 11 gained time and there is also work experience coming up in September so there will be some more hours of time to be used there as well.