1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Head of Maths/Assistant Headteacher in charge of Maths

Discussion in 'Mathematics' started by Elfrune, Jun 25, 2015.

1. Elfrune

Elfrune New commenter

Dear all,

I do not know if anyone can advise. Is there a major different between being a head of mathematics and an assistant head in charge of mathematics?

The reason I ask is that I am considering moving to an assistant head position, but I may end up earning significantly less than what I am on at the moment. Money is not everything - but it definitely is something. Is this a faster route towards career progression, or am I doing something stupid?

It's hard to go with what my heart and head are both saying - they don't agree.

With thanks for anyone able to advise - I have to make my mind up by this Sunday

2. googolplex

googolplex Occasional commenter

In our place all the heads of core, me included, have been turned into AHTs, but kept outside SLT. The head doesn't really understand it when we find our roles all consuming to the point where there is just no time for whole school responsibilities that someone may try to push our way. By way of comparison, pastoral leaders are seen as being far more worthy of bringing to the inner table - several have joined SLT over the past 5 years and then moved onwards and upwards. Maybe it's just the way things happen in our place...

I see our elevation as confirmation of the importance of the subject in terms of the way a school is judged. It is different from being head of non-core depts. Many more people to manage, more pressure and expectation, etc.

However, a career move? Well, I didn't accept the role until there was more money on the table than before. Otherwise, what's the point? But, the lack of time to get involved across the school is somewhat limiting if I was looking to gain experience to justify a move into more senior leadership roles. That suits me, though. I like our current set up, with SLT a healthy distance away and have reached the point where I'd rather have my free time to myself.

So the best thing is to keep well out of the way and build a healthy maths empire in the school. I don't want to give the head any excuse to exercise that worrying clause in the contract...'...and whatever else the head requires of me on a day to day basis...'

3. Andy.Pipkin

Andy.Pipkin New commenter

OP: you will never make SLT with that lack of arrogance. Career progression? I teach kids, I am not a spreadsheet jockey. Go on and apply, you know you want to be a Sith Lord.

Oh dear, I am tetchy tonight. :)