1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Head of languages interview help!

Discussion in 'Modern foreign languages' started by missymoo20, May 21, 2011.

1. Hi everyone I have an interview on Tuesday and have to teach an hour long lesson to 8 year 10 french students and I have to teach the present subjunctive in the context of free time and they are doing their controlled speaking after half term. Has anyone got any good ideas getting a bit worried about it now.

2. PierreImport

PierreImport Administrator

Not me, I'm afraid. Have you considered withdrawing?

3. noemie

noemie Occasional commenter

Pardon? The present subjunctive to Y10 students?? I only ever teach one or two set phrases to A* candidates in Y11. I'm with Pierreimport on this one!
    Seriously though, I'd go through some expressions which need the subjunctive, perhaps write a model text with some included in and get them to highlight the verbs in the subjunctive, etc. But it does sound like a very pushy school that doesn't even read exam reports (students don't need the subjunctive to get maximum marks in their CA).

4. langteacher

langteacher New commenter

I don't think I had heard of the subjunctive until I did my A level

5. chriszwinter

chriszwinter New commenter

I'm with everyone else on this. Someone is having a laugh.

6. Well there are two. Candidates I have been given that subjunctive lesson and the other candidate has been given year 7 german.

7. noemie

What are they doing in the Y7 German lesson I wonder? Irregular genitiv?

8. Random175

Random175 New commenter

If I were you.... (sorry couldn't resist) I would ask which exam board it is. You'll probably relate it to producing varied structures ie the subjunctive plus certain connectives or expressions. I would pick on something like aller in the subjunctive as it can be heard ( or etre or faire), in an hour I wouldn't waste too much time on er verbs as they cannot be 'heard' in their up and coming speaking. If you know the exam board - some make it fairly explicit that the present subjunctive is not considered another tense so they will still need the past in their assessment.
    Maybe this is an 'elite' set who they are setting up for A level?

9. Could you use il faut que + subjuntive - not sure what topic is but if healthy lifestyle it could be instructions to be healthy so you il faut que je fasse, il faut que je sois.....

10. You did say free tie...sorry
    So how about taking famous sports people and saying pour être footballeur professional il faut qu' on .......
    pour être nageur il faut qu'on....etc etc
    Coud lmake a snakes and ladders games with variety of sports and activities on saying il faut qu'on so they can practise the speakign side...
    That's my effort at creativity I'm afraid - though as otehr shave said present subjuntive year 10 - yuk!

11. catmother

catmother Lead commenter

In view of recent allegations about footballers,I dread to think what the ending of the sentence could be!

12. I am not wishing to be clever but please note "professionel"

13. henriette

henriette New commenter

What sort of school is this for?

14. PierreImport

PierreImport Administrator

Nice one, Timbo; Professionnel is the word you are looking for!

15. noemie

*professionnel

16. Think you might also notice that I made numerous typos in English, as well, at the time as was trying to do it in haste - just trying to give an idea...........