1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Head of House

Discussion in 'Senior Leadership Team' started by scousemo, Jun 20, 2011.

1. Hi,
    I am currently thinking about applying for a Head of House job at my school with Tracking and Monitoring as a whole school responsibility.
    My question is can someone tell me what sort of things a Head of House would do on a day to day basis, what they find rewarding about the job and any tips on starting out as Head of House. I appreciate these are broad questions but I would like thoughts on these questions.
    Any interview questions that would help me would also be appreciated.
    Thanks in advance.

2. Hi,
    I am currently thinking about applying for a Head of House job at my school with Tracking and Monitoring as a whole school responsibility.
    My question is can someone tell me what sort of things a Head of House would do on a day to day basis, what they find rewarding about the job and any tips on starting out as Head of House. I appreciate these are broad questions but I would like thoughts on these questions.
    Any interview questions that would help me would also be appreciated.
    Thanks in advance.

3. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

Is there not a job description for this post? Surely that will tell you what your school has in mind for the post-holder, which may well be different from the post-holder's role in other schools.
    As for interview questions - these, too, will derive from the job description and part of the process of preparing yourself is to think around the whole range that might be asked about each aspect of the jd. If people just give you a list of what they think, it will prevent you doing this vital preparation and leave you poorly prepared.

4. Have you spoken to other House Heads at your school? Observed their day to day work?

5. Thanks middlemarch & weezadance1 for your replies,
    I recently implemented the tracking and monitoring in the school I am at and that is drawing me to this post, however, they have attached this onto the Head of House remit.
    I did ask for a job description but got 'there isn't as far as I know yet. It is like HOH with the whole school responsibility of tracking and monitoring.'
    As for observing current HoH, that is a great idea but with my current timetable I don't really have the time to do that.

6. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

Have a chat with one of them after school over coffee or a drink. Ask questions and make notes.
    The problem with asking HOHs in other schools is that their job might be different and it makes complete sense to ask one of your existing colleagues.

7. Hi middlemarch,
    I took your advice and asked one of the HoH I play football with and he gave make some great advice, shadowing with him tomorrow and I'm also talking to the current incumbent on Monday. Just need to make sure I have examples to back up the things I say but also need to put my thinking cap on about any new initiatives or ideas I have that I can implement for the new job.
    So thanks for the idea, which some may say was obvious.
    Scousemo