1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Head of House Interview

Discussion in 'Heads of department' started by shaun.rogers, Feb 7, 2012.

1. Hello all,
    I have got an interview for the above position and have one area that I would like to talk through some ideas.
    I have to give a presentation to students for 5 minutes about "How my leadership will ensure that you get the best possible support from
    your tutor and why my house will be the best."

I have an idea about what I will talk about but would appreciate some input.
    Firstly I am going to split the talk into the two section:
    <ol>[*]How my leadership will esure the best support from tutors[*]How my house will be the best.</ol>So if I take these in turn. Leadership to ensure tutor suport:
    I was thinking about areas such as:
    <ol>[*]Minimising Tutorial admin so that time can be spent develping the student Tutor relationship allowing tutors to know their students well.[*]Supporting tutors in their actions with the provision of resources and pathways to help students in a variety of situations e.g. coachnig materials, rewards...[*]Carrying out Learning Walks to ensure that tutors are conducting tutorials in the best possible manner to help students.[*]Ensure tutors and students are fully aware of the progress of their students so that they can take an active role in coaching and supporting their education.</ol>For the Best House:
    <ol>[*]Pupil Voice - Establish or maintain a House Council to plan for events and for feedback on how the shcool is run.[*]The school does not do vertical tutoring but has houses mad up of 2 tutor groups per house. So I thought of having session periodically where groups mixed together pairing like minded students to help each other/having the more able with lower ability to provide support.[*]House events as well as whole college events e.g. potential house sports teams and clubs.[*]That I will be proactive in dealing with successes and celebrating them.[*]That I will be proactive in dealing with students that are not behaving/putting in sufficient effort and therefore affecting the learning of those in the house and school as a whole.[*]Communicate clearly with the house to ensure they are fully aware of all expectations and what happens if student exceed or fail to achieve them.</ol>Any further ideas would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks

2. Hello all,
    I have got an interview for the above position and have one area that I would like to talk through some ideas.
    I have to give a presentation to students for 5 minutes about "How my leadership will ensure that you get the best possible support from
    your tutor and why my house will be the best."

I have an idea about what I will talk about but would appreciate some input.
    Firstly I am going to split the talk into the two section:
    <ol>[*]How my leadership will esure the best support from tutors[*]How my house will be the best.</ol>So if I take these in turn. Leadership to ensure tutor suport:
    I was thinking about areas such as:
    <ol>[*]Minimising Tutorial admin so that time can be spent develping the student Tutor relationship allowing tutors to know their students well.[*]Supporting tutors in their actions with the provision of resources and pathways to help students in a variety of situations e.g. coachnig materials, rewards...[*]Carrying out Learning Walks to ensure that tutors are conducting tutorials in the best possible manner to help students.[*]Ensure tutors and students are fully aware of the progress of their students so that they can take an active role in coaching and supporting their education.</ol>For the Best House:
    <ol>[*]Pupil Voice - Establish or maintain a House Council to plan for events and for feedback on how the shcool is run.[*]The school does not do vertical tutoring but has houses mad up of 2 tutor groups per house. So I thought of having session periodically where groups mixed together pairing like minded students to help each other/having the more able with lower ability to provide support.[*]House events as well as whole college events e.g. potential house sports teams and clubs.[*]That I will be proactive in dealing with successes and celebrating them.[*]That I will be proactive in dealing with students that are not behaving/putting in sufficient effort and therefore affecting the learning of those in the house and school as a whole.[*]Communicate clearly with the house to ensure they are fully aware of all expectations and what happens if student exceed or fail to achieve them.</ol>Any further ideas would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks

3. ScienceGuy

ScienceGuy Occasional commenter

You have a very clear set of ideas for your presentation and splitting it makes sense but I would, at the end, link the two parts i.e. how your leadership is going to make your house the best.
    Good luck with the interview

4. derekdalek

derekdalek New commenter

I have been a year head and I would add how you will monitor academic progress. You also should mention something about liaising with outside agencies where appropriate.