1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Head of History Interview Lesson and Wales/England differences

Discussion in 'History' started by dougalsmum, Mar 5, 2011.

1. dougalsmum

dougalsmum New commenter

Hi!
    I have an interview for a Head of History position on Monday/Tuesday and, stupidly enough, I am most worried about the bit I do perfectly well every day...the lesson which I won't find out the topic of until Monday afternoon! Has anyone got any ideas/advice on what, in general, the panel are looking for at this level seeing as the main focus of the days will be leadership and management ability? Are they expecting perfection? I am also concerned that, having taught in Wales for nine years, I may be expected to comment on the key differences between the systems now that they've drawn apart so much...does anyone have any insight on this?
    Thanks

2. dougalsmum

dougalsmum New commenter

Hi!
    I have an interview for a Head of History position on Monday/Tuesday and, stupidly enough, I am most worried about the bit I do perfectly well every day...the lesson which I won't find out the topic of until Monday afternoon! Has anyone got any ideas/advice on what, in general, the panel are looking for at this level seeing as the main focus of the days will be leadership and management ability? Are they expecting perfection? I am also concerned that, having taught in Wales for nine years, I may be expected to comment on the key differences between the systems now that they've drawn apart so much...does anyone have any insight on this?
    Thanks

3. Morninglover

Morninglover Lead commenter

I've been a Head of History in more than 1 school, and had plenty of interviews for similar positions, and I've never heard of a 'surprise' lesson like this! What are they hoping to learn - which applicant can make up lessons without having to plan them? I'd have thought, as HoD, you'd be encouraging your department to plan their lessons a little long run advance! Quite frankly I'd be wondering about the ethos of the school if this is typical.also, btw, 2 days for a HoD position? Unusual for History, in my experience.
    So, I can only wish you 'good luck', and remember that an interview should be a two-way process - make sure you want the job!

4. Such short notice? That is pathetic. Don't these schools realise that we are busy people trying to hold down a job as it is. What you don't need is this ridiculous situation with short notice and then the possible bombshell that you know nothing about the topic.

My advice about the lesson would be to keep it sensible and manageable - don't try anything too whizzy as it could blow up in your face. Make up for it by being enthusiastic yourself and make sure it's not too heavu on chalk and talk.
    Good luck.