1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Head of Faculty?

Discussion in 'Secondary' started by Calire7, May 14, 2019.

1. Calire7

Calire7 New commenter

So having been HOD for a few years it's time to seek promotion.

What is the standard teaching allowcation for a HOF? Teachers usually get 90% with 10% PPA. HOD usually about 80% to 85% with 15to20% PPA. What does a HOF get?

What other duties are they expected to do on top of managing and collating department data, overseeing curriculum (of more than their own subject) and examination requirements and subject review, book marking checks, teacher performance management + observations etc?
    The Head of Faculty should have a vision and be able to create cohesion within the team.
    How might this be achieved?
    Are there any good courses to attend?

Last edited: May 14, 2019
  2. minnie me

minnie me Star commenter

I think contribution to whole school development plan ( beyond your subject area ) plus being an additional constant presence around the campus/ at all calendared meetings / events / extra curricula where appropriate- always toeing the official party line.Maybe even leading another committee /workshop / INSET ..,,

Re vision - well yes - important you can articulate yours and crucially ‘evidence ‘ it

Team work essential as so many departments can be fractured and function via the cult of personality . Managing change / resistance to change often takes priority and needs most skill.

Continue to read around leadership / styles /management. Sure there are courses out there but they need to be ‘ reputable ‘and there should be an opportunity to show what you have learnt from accessing.I am a huge fan of John West Burnham - Google is your friend ...

3. dmariethomas

dmariethomas New commenter

I'm not sure about the answer to your question, but I am seeking a promotion and applying for a job as HoD. Any advice in terms of interview etc?

4. minnie me

minnie me Star commenter

At interview present as if you are already doing the job

5. teachtronic

teachtronic New commenter

don't forget after the class teacher, you will normally be the point of call to deal with unruly pupils before /. if it escalates to SLT level.