1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Head of Faculty - not getting interviews

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by whirladervish, Apr 20, 2012.

1. Dear Theo,

My husband has been a successful Head of Department for almost eight years, turning around two failing departments and gaining excellent exam results. As part of a school restructuring he was invited to apply for a newly created role as Assistant Faculty Leader, as his own role, and those of other department heads in the faculty, were being downgraded to that of a Classroom Teacher. He was not successful, perhaps unsurprising as he had been a perhaps too vocal critic of a some of the new head's policies (a lesson I hope he's learned)! His TLR points are protected for three years but he loses his job title from Sept '12 and this has prompted him to begin a job search. He has been mostly applying for Head of Faculty roles. I am a little concerned that we are not converting applications to interviews and I wonder if you could tell us what the key skills/strengths are that he needs to demonstrate when applying for this role? We have of course read the job and person specifications and tailored each application accordingly but we disagree somewhat as to the importance of certain elements, particularly in the covering letter :)

One last thing. My husband is worried that LA application forms all start with asking for your qualifications. As he didn't get very good results in O Levels and A levels himself (appalling school in Hackney, now closed) and his degree is a 3rd that prospective employers on seeing this don't bother to read any further despite his many successful years in the profession. Could he be right?

Many thanks for your help and please forgive any technical terms I have used incorrectly, I'm not in the profession myself.

Whirlawife

2. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Leadership and vision. These are the main ones at this level.
    He could be, yes. He could consider highlighting this in his application, saying how he has gone forward to making a success of his life, and this gives him a good understanding of pupils who are under-achieving and how to motivate them. If this is true - you cannot lie in an application, of course.
    I wonder how he is presenting his application?
    For an effective application, you should send:
    • an application form with every bit filled in, no "See letter"
    • an application letter OR personal statement. Not both but certainly one of them.
    • a cover letter ONLY if you do a personal statement. See FAQs inside the Welcome thread
    • an Executive summary. If there's a space on the form, put it in there; if not, put it at the end of your letter so that it gets printed out automatically. The Welcome thread clickables explain about an executive summary.
    I would also advise him to sign up for next Saturday's seminar:TES Weekend Workshops - Winning That Teaching Job & Interview... or even consider having a one-to-one session.
    Best wishes
    Tip: If using Android, Google Chrome or Safari (iPad etc), then use when you want to put in a paragraph.