1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Head of English interview

Discussion in 'Heads of department' started by amz490, May 3, 2020.

1. amz490

amz490 New commenter

Hi!

I have a HOD interview next week, can anyone suggest possible questions I may be asked?

Thanks in advance!

2. pianopete

pianopete Occasional commenter

A few ideas (although it's been a long time since my interview):

- Canon vs. contemporary literature: should all texts on the English curriculum be canonical? is there a canon? Is it sacred?
    - What is powerful knowledge in English and how is it best taught?
    - How can you help to close the vocabulary/reading gap?
    - How would you sequence the English curriculum to maximise learning?
    - Why it is important all students study English literature to GCSE? What is its place in the curriculum?
    - How can you ensure every student leaves with a functional level of literacy?
    - How can you ensure equality of experience across the teachers in your team?

Hope that gives you some food for thought.

amz490 and tb9605 like this.
  3. tb9605

tb9605 Established commenter

I agree very much with Pianopete's last 5 questions. I'd love to think they would ask you the first two, but sadly I doubt very many SLT members these days would care (unless they all happen to be former English teachers).

There will undoubtedly be questions about data (what data you'd collect and what you would do with it) and possibly a "to set or not to set" question.

There will be the inevitable safeguarding question, plus that one about where you see yourself in 5 years time.

They may give you management scenarios - complaints about a department member, department members not meeting deadlines, etc - and ask you how you would deal with them.

Good luck!

amz490 likes this.
  4. amz490

amz490 New commenter

Thank you both very much! This has given me lots to think about xx

5. Skeoch

Skeoch Star commenter

The underlying question, which you won't be asked directly, is, "why should we hire you instead of the other highly qualified and skilled people waiting in the ante room?"