1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Head of English and MFL role

Discussion in 'Heads of department' started by catslovelycats, Feb 27, 2020.

1. catslovelycats

catslovelycats New commenter

Does anyone here have experience of being Head of English and MFL?
    Is it something you’d recommend doing?
    I find it busy enough being head of English and wondered a) how you also find time to do the MFL bit and b)what sort of things you need to be aware of leading a MFL department. any thoughts/comments please?
    Thanks

2. muso2

muso2 Occasional commenter Community helper

I presume there would also be a head of mfl who you are line manager for, so it's like a faculty of languages? At my last school, English, art, drama and music were one faculty, with the head of English as Head of faculty, so its not unheard of. There were some cross-curricular things we did sometimes, which I guess could work with English and mfl as well. It was a lot to manage with the demands of English as well, and was changed in the end do that English was on its own.

jarndyce likes this.
  3. MissGeorgi

MissGeorgi Occasional commenter

Bear in mind you have a different format of the exams- speaking exams, which need to be organised. This has logistical and technical challenges! MFL may also have a lot of foreign trips!

4. VeronicAmb

VeronicAmb Occasional commenter

Unless you plan to be SLT or a faculty lead, I really wouldn't take on the extra subject! It might be alright if your school only has French. But any additional languages would be too much (personally). Just depends on how big your school/demand/need is.

I was HoD for English and (Creative) Media - which was basically media and all its related courses. It wasn't much because I had a SL for Media so he pretty much did 90% of what I had to do lol. Would you have a SL, MfL or would it just be 2ic for MfL? I'd assume you'd have 2ic for English and then 2ic for MfL? or would the 2ic post be English and MfL? Sorry for the questions!

I have no idea about MfL dept. and what your school is like, does every GCSE student have to do a language and does your school offer A-levels too? Timetabling would be very annoying. Budgets as well. If the dept. joins then you'd have to budget really carefully - can you take some out of MfL and use it for English for example? How would trips work? And also mocks and assessments? If it all happens around the same time, your head is going to explode.

I personally wouldn't do it. Stick to English! At least it's a core subject! ;)

jarndyce likes this.
  5. catslovelycats

catslovelycats New commenter

Thanks everyone. There is a head of MFL and I would 'just' line manage them. Your comments have been really helpful. I've got an interview on Friday and will go in with some better prepared questions to investigate so thanks.

6. barca fc

barca fc New commenter

As an MFL teacher I would be very wary of a school that lumps English and MFL together and thinks that the skills that make you a great Head of English also mean you could manage an MFL department. The demands of core and option subjects are very different. This sounds to me like a school that doesn’t value MFL very much at all.