1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

head of dept dliemma

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by basil1982, May 31, 2011.

1. I currently work in a school that i really enjoy, the staff and pupils are brill!! I am now in my 6th year in teaching and this year I have been applying for head of p.e jobs but with no luck. My head of department is also an assistant head and he is now leaving to become an assistant head at another school. This means that his head of p.e job is avaialble from september. There are three of us in the department who would be up for the top job, however, SLT are pushing us towards doing a three way split where we all become head of p.e each having responsibilities. I dont like this idea as i beleive to be the strongest out of the three of us. I think that SLT are not wanting to upset any of us, or that they dont think any of us could do the job on our own. They have said all three of us have our own strengths and weaknesses. The other two guys already have a a TLR so I would be the only one gaining financially out of it. SLT have said they may advertise the job externally for next year which we can then apply for. They have said we could all apply for it and may the best man win, but if i lost i know i would be gutted for the rest of the year and i would still be in the same postition i am in now. Or, do i accept the three way thing and use this responsibility as a stepping stone for next year.

Your thoughts would be appreciated.

2. I think if the school wanted a single head of PE and believed that an internal candidate met the requirements they wouldn't suggest the three way split. SMT's job is to do what's best for the school, keeping their staff happy would come second to the best interests of the students and department. If you still feel you are the strongest candidate and appointing you sole head of department would be best for the faculty and SMT just haven't realised it, perhaps you could have an informal chat with one of them.

3. September

September New commenter

I agree with the last post. Take this opportunity and get the experience. It will definitely benefit you at some point. SMT do things that we do not always agree with but you need to get the best out of it for you and ultimately the school is for the students and they come first. You will also have two others to work with and if it works then that's great and if it doiesn't then you can use your experience for another school or maybe another post in your current school. Good luck.