1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Head of Dept can't spell or punctuate

Discussion in 'English' started by Dothework, Jul 9, 2019.

1. Dothework

Dothework New commenter

Hypothetically, what should take place when the HOD for English does not confidently or use SPAG correctly in resources, email communication and assessments?

2. katykook

katykook Occasional commenter

Is it possible the HOD is dyslexic?

3. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

Is it possible the HOD is bobbins?
    Just saying.

katykook likes this.
  4. ViolaClef

ViolaClef Lead commenter

Hypothetically, someone higher up the tree/their line manager should raise the issue with them.

5. Easyasabc

Easyasabc Occasional commenter

Are you hypothetically after a HOD's job?

6. neddyfonk

neddyfonk Lead commenter

If you make comparisons in the world of politics: how many MPs responsible for education have ever worked in a school? Maybe the HOD has great leadership skills or might be a friend/relative/paramour of a decision maker in your school. My dad was a teacher but I still have difficulty reading his notes which does not stop him from being a good teacher.

tall tales likes this.
  7. Corvuscorax

Corvuscorax Star commenter

lots of teachers end up with poor spelling and grammar. We learn spelling by reading, and teachers read incorrect spelling repeatedly for years, and for many, this leads to problems in their own spelling. It is a widely recognised phenomena, and not normally an issue professionally.

Give him a dictionary! Tell him to turn on his spellchecker! proof read his resources and assessments! it doesn't matter in emails, anyway.

tall tales likes this.
  8. Corvuscorax

Corvuscorax Star commenter

I'm dyslexic.

I give my students a house point for every spelling mistake they spot in my work. Its probably one or two a term, almost all when writing on the white board. They love it!

tall tales and katykook like this.