1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Head of Dept. application letter

Discussion in 'Professional development' started by gomma, Mar 5, 2005.

1. If you want real help with your head of department application letter ask you existing head of department or a member of SLT to read over what you have ALREADY written for the letter / personal statement and listen to their feedback.
    This way you will learn how to write one, just in case you don't get the job, or want to get another job or help a member of your team write their's.
    I've done this and it's the best decision I made. My deputy head has been amazingly helpful and I've learnt how to write my personal statement & application letter in a really clear way that emphasises my strong points. Therefore, I feel really confident about the application. I've also been able to pass on that help to my friend who's also applying for a new job.
    Surely, this is what we teach the students: learn from those who know, don't copy off them.

2. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

3. jag79

jag79 New commenter

I'm in absolute shock... People are requesting a letter that is EIGHT YEARS OLD... the whole thing is ridiculous.... How can one letter cover ALL the different HoD posts in ALL the different schools for ALL the different candidates...

4. minnie me

minnie me Star commenter

Is right. I am also aware that on some forums there is an increasing number of posters who rather than asking for advice or re assurance re a particular topic / issue / concern expect to be told what to do / how to manage / chapter and verse . I have a lot of time for folk who post with ' this is what I am doing / thinking / expecting '.....'this is is my rationale for ' -( professional dialogue if you like )who show the thinking behind their actions but in my opinion too many in for a 'quick fix'

5. Hi
    May I be cheeky and ask for a copy too please?

6. joxmac

joxmac New commenter

Please may I get a copy mod this letter

joxmac@hotmail.co.uk

7. MrGator

MrGator New commenter

Oh my! I can't believe people are STILL asking for the letter after all of the posts outlining how utterly stupid it is! If you can't write your own letter, what make you think you can cut running a department?!?

8. gloriavelazquez

gloriavelazquez New commenter

I need one can you please send me a copy?

9. Skeoch

Skeoch Lead commenter

Use of that letter would mean you would NOT be on our short list. Read the advice above.